More trapunto and garden flowers


More progress on the trapunto…the center is nearly finished.   I have half of the deer and trees to finish and one corner of lattice and bells.


I have use 2 skeins of yarn so far.


I stuff it pretty tight so it takes a lot.

DSCN6956 DSCN6954 DSCN6953 DSCN6952

The garden continues to grow.    Here are a few pictures.   The roses are stating and the Lupine are really looking great.  (click pictures to enlarge)

Happy Quilting


More Trapunto…..Sorry if it is repetitive


I have been stuck on this project for a few days but I am about half done.   Here are more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

Here is the demo video

It should be finished in a few days

Happy Quilting


More Trapunto and some garden pictures

DSCN6900 (2)

I finished some more of the trapunto.    The quilt looks a bit bumpy in the picture but that is because I have had it sort of wadded up in my hands to get the stuffing in.    It really is still flat.     Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

It did rain last night and it looks like more today.   It is very cloudy so the color of the pictures is not the best but you can still see how things are growing.

The grass is still wet from the rain so Teddy decided to stay inside …..he doesn’t like to get his feet wet.  Here he is in his “I’m bored” pose ( he thinks it is my fault that it is wet outside)


Happy Quilting


more stuffing


Toady I am waiting for it to rain because the garden needs it.   While I do that I am working on adding the trapunto to the reindeer quilt. It is turning out great.

I posted some pictures on Facebook and got some questions about it so I will answer them here as well.

  1. What will the back look like? wont it be full of holes?    NO.  the needle doesn’t break any threads it does look like it makes a hole but it closes right up when it is washed.  The threads of the fabric go right back into place. Aside from the hanging sleeve it will be hard to tell the difference between the front and the back.
  2. Wont that cause the quilt to be distorted?    NO.   Since I do the trapunto after all of the quilting is done all it can do is fill up those unquilted areas.  The quilting holds it all together and keeps it flat and square.   I might need to do a bit of steaming after it is washed to get out wrinkles, but I would do that even if there was no stuffing .    If it is a quilt that is not for a show I really don’t worry about that at all and just let the wrinkles come out on their own (they do disappear on their own over time while the quilt is unfolded and hanging or on a bed.
  3. Wont the stuffing get all bunched up in the wash?   NO.   I washed and dried (in the machine) my large feathered whole cloth quilt several times so far and it has not been a problem at all.


I am also adding stuffing to the grid and the bells.  here is a small section with some of that finished. (6 bells on the right are stuffed.)


Here are some more pictures of the progress (click pictures to enlarge)

Happy Quilting


Reindeer Modifications



Remember this quilt?   It has been in a few AQS shows this year.   It has a few more to go to and I have decided that I am going to make some changes to it first.

I am going to add Trapunto or stuffing.    Here is a link to how I do that

I have one deer and one tree done so far.


I think it makes a big difference.    It is going to take a long time to do the whole thing.   Teddy thinks I might be crazy.


I think he will approve when it is done.   Here are some more pictures

Happy Quilting




I spent some time in the garden today.   I honestly was hoping that it would rain.   I know that would interfere with a lot of holiday plans but there were really no “April Showers”  this year and May has been just as dry.   It was however a great day to garden.

My garden is always a work in progress.    I could never be the gardener that gets a designer to plan the entire garden and plants it all at once.   Gardens evolve.  The plants tell me a lot about how happy they are where I have planted them.   If they aren’t doing well the get moved or removed and I try something else.   Each year I add more garden and have less grass.

In 2011 I posted all my garden pictures on a separate page.   It is fun to look back at how the garden has changed since then.   see that page here

I purchased a few new plants that went in today.


I moved a few roses because over time the spots they were in became shaded.

I had a robin right next to me while I was digging.  He was very interested in the worms I was unearthing.

DSCN6846 DSCN6828 DSCN6827

Teddy spent most of the time patrolling the yard


Here is the back yard.  (click pictures to enlarge)

The front garden is filling in.   Just  a few weeks ago it was pretty barren looking.

Back to work on all the quilt backlog :)

Happy Memorial Day


Mackintosh Rose finished


I finished the Mackintosh Rose Quilt.   I started it April 11, here is the post about that

I wrote about my design inspiration here

Here it is with the quilting finished and ready to add the binding.


I used all Presencia thread.   Perle cotton size 8 and 12 and 40 weight.


The bating is  Mountain Mist poly.

Here is a close up of the hand quilting.


Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

Now I have some gardening to do

Happy Quilting