Sometimes (often) I start to do one thing and end up doing something totally different.
I realized on Friday that I almost missed the deadline to enter a quilt in the Phoenix American Quilters Society show in February. I read through the categories and decided to enter my Rose Quilt. I needed to get a picture of it hanging to use for the entry and one close up picture. In order to do that I needed to do some unpacking that has been waiting for me (more about that later). It was wrinkled so I had to steam it to get pictures. Anyway here is the full pic and the close up.
So that being done it was back to unpacking. I still have a ton of stuff in boxes that needs organizing in the studio. I started on a tub of fabric and didn’t even get it unpacked before I got distracted by a new plan and started working on a new quilt top.
I have a lot more fabric than I realized.
and nothing in the tub has made it to the shelf yet :(
I did take a few picture of the garden
most of the flowers in the older part are done for the year.
There are a few things in bloom, Celosia Argentea and Toad lilies are looking good.
The Rudbeckia hirta I planted in the new bed by the drive is blooming
My new grass is looking great. The beds around the edges are filling in with plants as I have time to divide and move things.
So much to do before the end of fall!
But now it is back to work hand quilting. I have a lot to catch up on!
When September comes to Lansing I start to see a lot of Monarch Butterflies in my garden. Click pictures to enlarge
They were in a cooperative mood and let me get a few pictures.
It has been a while since I have had time to paint but I enjoy painting butterflies
It is starting to look like fall even though it was 88 degrees today and the humidity was almost that high. I am finally getting some tomatoes that look like they will ripen soon. Some of the “fall” flowers are blooming, the hydrangea are changing color, mums in bloom, lots of walnuts and leaves from the neighbors trees are bombarding the yard.
I took a few pictures of the garden
Teddy was happy to come inside and turn on the Air conditioning
The time flies when there is so much to do! The garden has been taking time because I am thinning and transplanting.
Teddy has been supervising transplanting.
He has to stay in the fenced yard while I go and dig up the plants…he can watch from the deck.
I (we) moved a few more shrubs today and several perennials.
here are a few pictures from the studio window.
speaking of the studio here it is….I already need to clean up but love the space
The garden has taken up a lot of time so I haven’t finished piecing the top.
I have an idea for a new quilt so I started to play with that …..I couldn’t help myself.
I did a lot of hand quilting …..here is one of the quilts…still 4 blocks to go.
I will post more soon….when the light is better
I did a bit of gardening this weekend. The forecast is for much cooler weather the next week or more (in the 50’s at night and 70 day) so it is great for transplanting. Almost as soon as I finished we got an inch of rain which is a lot for Lansing , the average for the entire month of Aug is 3.25 inches.
The old garden is so jam-packed that I plan to buy very little for the new one. I will move most over from the old. I moved 11 roses yesterday. They were tucked in between so many other plants that they were hardly visible and actually suffering from lack of space and sun so they were pretty small. I pruned them a lot too so that they had less foliage to support while they grow new roots.
They don’t look like much now but I have high hopes for next year.
When fighting with roses it is probably a good idea to wear long sleeves. I really didn’t notice the damage I did to myself until I was sewing later.
I also transplanted a viburnum, a hydrangea, some hostas, ferns, A nine bark, and a few seedling perennials around the few shrubs I left from the previous mess. I have a lot more to go but here is the start of that area. and no noticeable holes left in the old garden.
Remember what that looked like in July?
What a difference some green grass makes. The seed grew fast even though it really wasn’t the right time of year to plant it.
I did get some hand quilting done….I’ll try to spread out the quilts for pictures soon. I also did some piecing on my hex quilt.
Teddy is glad that the gardening is done for the day
When I moved things to the new studio I didn’t pack away any of the quilts that are partially hand quilted. If they are out in the open I will be more likely to work on them. I did finish one so far.
Today I have another one to show you. I started this one ages ago! see the post here http://timquilts.com/2013/04/29/suspension-bridge-variation/
And here is the finished top.
I opened it up to see how much I had finished and teddy took it as an opportunity to pose.
I have a lot more to do on it.
here is one block
and the back
I forgot how much I like this one!
I took a few garden pictures today (click pics to enlarge)
I finished all the blocks so it is time for assembly.
Here is the layout. I decided to leave the 2 long edges jagged.
I start in a corner and piece the blocks together on the diagonal. Here it is with 3 diagonal rows done and the next one ready to add.
and the next row.
and the next
keep doing row at a time
It will be done soon :)