autumn 2

We had a hard frost so many plants in my garden have bitten the dust :(   but there are still lots of fall colors around.    I have been thinking of a new quilt idea in fall colors so I drew up a plan.

fall idea

I am not sure when I will actually make it….I decided to work on the snowflake quilt and get it finished….


the #11 between needle I use for hand quilting this one sure seems small compared to the size 5 embroidery needle I used on the last one


I also want to finish the batik quilt top


and several others before I start a new one….but thinking about new things keeps me moving along.

Happy Quilting




I finished the hand quilting and binding today.

Here is how the top was made

And here is a post about the prep for quilting 

And about the quilting

Teddy decided he wanted to model it before I added the binding


Here are a bunch of pictures of the finished quilt.   I need to take some in daylight …the colors are not as accurate as I would like because I used the flash .    (click pictures to enlarge)

Happy quilting




Autumn is here.   The trees are really colorful around town and I need to get to work on fall clean up in my garden.

A few things still look good.  I took a few pictures but it is starting to rain so I will try again in a few days.     (click pictures to enlarge)

If the weather is good I have some bulbs to plant  and there are bags of leaves to rake and plants to cut down and flowers to harvest for drying.

I taught a class today….more floral design, I did get a few pictures.

I hope to get this quilt finished this week


I will post pictures soon

Happy Fall



I have had a very busy week so I have not done a lot of hand quilting.   I did make some progress on this one.


I am working on the borders

DSCN4453 DSCN4452

The center is finished

DSCN4456 DSCN4455 DSCN4454

I love the back


I hope to have a lot of time to quilt on Sunday   so more updates coming soon .


Have you seen the Why Quilts Matter series?

“Why Quilts Matter: History, Art & Politics”

is the landmark nine-part documentary series that offers a fresh, relevant exploration of quilts.

This fascinating series explores quilts in fresh new ways by taking you behind the scenes to reveal the unique position of quilts at the center of American culture. You’ll go on an amazing quilt journey from function to art, to women’s empowerment, economic clout, American politics and beyond.

It is a wonderful series and I highly recommend it.

I am honored to be featured in a Q & A on their blog .

Here is a link to the blog

Happy Quilting!



Teddy says Hi but he didn’t feel like posing today

More Hand Quilting


I am moving along on the hand quilting.   (see the post about making the top here )


2 rows to go (top and bottom) and then the borders.

Here is Teddy testing it out

DSCN4439 DSCN4438

he also needed to test out the back.


And yet another vintage top


here are the blocks

This one feels like it needs a border….I will see if I can find a good match for the blue or the green.

Here are a few pictures from the floral design class I teach.

Happy Quilting


More vintage tops


I have a few more vintage top to share today.  I plan to get to these soon, but as you know I change plans frequently ….

This lone star is really great!   I love 2 color quilts.


As is often the case with these it has a few issues.


the center is rather mountainous.


and the setting triangles are on the bias and very puckered.


I think the easiest solution will be to take it apart into the 8 main pieces/star points and trim them to the correct size and replace the bias cut triangles.  When I get to work on it I will post all about how I do the fix.

Next is a spool top.


A very simple design but I really like it.   It is a bit less than well made


not really flat and not very precise in the piecing


and some of those vertical stripes would be much better if they were horizontal…more like thread on a spool.

but I really like it as it is.

I think I will just press this one well and quilt it as it is.

Teddy likes it the way it is


Remember this quilt?


I made it with a line of fabric from P&B Textiles called Interplay


P&B Textiles now has my pattern (as well as many others) available as a free download on their website here

It is an easy one to make…and could easily be made larger with the addition of borders.

If you are going to be at the Houston Quilt Market visit P&B at booths 1356 & 1361


I have a Floral Design Class to teach Saturday Morning …pictures of that soon


Happy Quilting



Some Hand Quilting

Last time I posted about basting this quilt.

I put the quilt in the hoop and listened to what it had to say (quilts talk if you listen).   It said it wants simple quilting.    I am using #12 black perle cotton thread and a size 5 embroidery needle.  All straight lines….or straightish because I am not doing any marking or even trying to be perfect.

DSCN4385 DSCN4383
The spacing between the lines is somewhat random…whatever feels right.

Here are some more pictures (click picture to enlarge)

Here are a few pictures from the basic floral design class I teach

Happy Quilting