Supervisor Teddy


I made a backing for this top.


I used the leftover light fabrics from the top


Supervisor Teddy tested it out.


Once he said it was OK I taped the backing to the floor .   I have carpet in the studio so I taped the backing down with masking tape rather than tack it to the wood floor like I did in the old space.


I am using Hobb’s Tuscany cotton wool blend batting.


I spread out and smooth the batting on the backing then put on the top and smooth that out.   Here it is layered and pinned.


It is hard to see the pins.   I don’t use many.

I have a bag full of perle cotton thread leftover from several quilts and I plan to do the hand quilting with it.


It wont happen tomorrow.   I have a lot of hand quilting to do first but It is good to have it set to go.

Happy Quilting



working on another ufo


It has been a while since I worked on this Batik Quilt.

I am trying to finish up some of my partially finished tops rather than packing up the pieces and then forgetting about them.

Here it is the last time I worked on it.

I made some changes to the original plan because I wanted a few areas that are unpieced to do some hand quilting that will show and to add some different colors.

Teddy helped with the layout Ideas.

DSCN7461 DSCN7458

I have to finish the border blocks for 2 sides and then sew the blocks together.


19 blocks….that takes a while.  I am slow at paper foundation piecing but the accuracy is worth the effort.

Happy Quilting


String Melon Patch Finished


I finished the String melon top.
I made it with these vintage blocks


I used Warm and Plush batting.


Here it is after the hand quilting was finished.


the next step was to trim the edges


Next is the binding.  I used bias binding.   It was cut at only 1 1/2 inches wide , then folded in half so it was 3/4 inch then machine stitched to the top, folded to the back and hand stitched.    It makes for a very narrow binding.


It measured 77″ x 86″

Teddy tested it out.


I always wash and dry a quilt when I finish it.  so into the washer …..Teddy is waiting for it to be finished.


Here it is out of the dryer


The quilting really stands out because of the thick batting


Here is the back


The Warm and Plush batting was definitely harder to hand quilt but I love the look of the finished quilt and the weight….really heavy.   It did shrink quite a bit, it is Now 73″ x 81″

I do think I will use the batting again.


It rained most of the day today but here are some garden pics from yesterday.

Happy Quilting.


More Hand Quilting


I am moving along on the hand quilting.   (see the post about making the top here )


2 rows to go (top and bottom) and then the borders.

Here is Teddy testing it out

DSCN4439 DSCN4438

he also needed to test out the back.


And yet another vintage top


here are the blocks

This one feels like it needs a border….I will see if I can find a good match for the blue or the green.

Here are a few pictures from the floral design class I teach.

Happy Quilting


More About Lone Star Quilts


Yesterday I posted about a lone star top  that I have in my collection that is nearly finished.

LoneStar 001

A quilt appraiser/historian and friend (Teddy Pruett) told me that she has seen this one many times and it is a “die cut”   I took another look at it and I agree.  The diamonds are cut so perfectly that it is clear they are die cut, remember this is years before there were rotary cutters and cutting mats.

There were companies that sold pre-cut pieces for quilting.  I dug out some of my old quilting papers and found this catalog.



And here is a page from Nov 1932, Successful Farming (not sure if this one had pre cuts for sale because this is the only page I have)


Here is a pre-cut   kit in my collection


2010_0507auntmartha-star0013 2010_0507auntmartha-star0016

Here is a top that I finished.


It started as just the star, I added the red around it and the smaller stars.  It was a lot of work to get this one flat!   The diamonds in this could have been bought as pre cuts

Here is another .  This one was finished when I got it.


And here is another that needs to be finished


Here is one that i am sure was made form a kit.  I got the top from eBay and hand quilted it.


And here is another top from a pre cut kit.


Looks beautiful until you look a bit more closely


This is how the star pattern almost always goes wrong!  The seam allowances are off so it ends up with no way to make it flat.

2010_1108Autumn-20110003 2010_1108Autumn-20110005 2010_1108Autumn-20110008

I will need to take it apart and see if I can save it.

Many many of these star quilts were made with die cut pieces or kits, but not always successfully!

Back to work

Happy Quilting


Suspension Bridge Pattern

suspension bridge sashing 022

I drew up a pattern for the Suspension Bridge quilt I am working on.

Here is the PDF file ( suspension bridge )

Refer to the posts about it here  and  here

I have a hard time sticking with piecing for more than a few days at a time, It feels a lot like work.  So I am taking a break to get back to my real enjoyment, Hand Quilting.

whole cloth 5213 001

A few more warm days and the garden continues to grow.

Lots of work to do in the garden….weeds seem to grow no matter what

Happy Friday


Almost forgot….the real reason that people read is to see Teddy :)