We had a hard frost so many plants in my garden have bitten the dust :( but there are still lots of fall colors around. I have been thinking of a new quilt idea in fall colors so I drew up a plan.
I am not sure when I will actually make it….I decided to work on the snowflake quilt and get it finished….
the #11 between needle I use for hand quilting this one sure seems small compared to the size 5 embroidery needle I used on the last one
I also want to finish the batik quilt top
and several others before I start a new one….but thinking about new things keeps me moving along.
I finished the hand quilting and binding today.
Here is how the top was made http://timquilts.com/2014/09/15/new-top/
And here is a post about the prep for quilting http://timquilts.com/2014/10/07/
And about the quilting http://timquilts.com/2014/10/09/
Teddy decided he wanted to model it before I added the binding
Here are a bunch of pictures of the finished quilt. I need to take some in daylight …the colors are not as accurate as I would like because I used the flash . (click pictures to enlarge)
I have had a very busy week so I have not done a lot of hand quilting. I did make some progress on this one.
I am working on the borders
The center is finished
I love the back
I hope to have a lot of time to quilt on Sunday so more updates coming soon .
Have you seen the Why Quilts Matter series?
“Why Quilts Matter: History, Art & Politics”
is the landmark nine-part documentary series that offers a fresh, relevant exploration of quilts.
This fascinating series explores quilts in fresh new ways by taking you behind the scenes to reveal the unique position of quilts at the center of American culture. You’ll go on an amazing quilt journey from function to art, to women’s empowerment, economic clout, American politics and beyond.
It is a wonderful series and I highly recommend it.
I am honored to be featured in a Q & A on their blog .
Here is a link to the blog http://www.whyquiltsmatter.org/welcome/discussion-guide-qa-with/quilts-matter-question-answer-tim-latimer/
Teddy says Hi but he didn’t feel like posing today
Last time I posted about basting this quilt.
I put the quilt in the hoop and listened to what it had to say (quilts talk if you listen). It said it wants simple quilting. I am using #12 black perle cotton thread and a size 5 embroidery needle. All straight lines….or straightish because I am not doing any marking or even trying to be perfect.
The spacing between the lines is somewhat random…whatever feels right.
Here are some more pictures (click picture to enlarge)
Here are a few pictures from the basic floral design class I teach
The next on the pile to be quilted is this one
I added a border using the pale green ombre that I used in the top. The top measures 83″ x 73″
I used silk Batting.
Here is the top ready to baste (the color on the picture is sort of off)
I baste with safety pins and use very few, one in the corner of each block.
Sometimes people get worried when they see one of my quilts basted because it doesn’t look perfectly flat. I adjust the layers as I quilt and I have never had a pucker. It takes me about 30 minutes to pin baste a quilt this way. I think I use less pins with every new quilt. Once the quilt is in the hoop I adjust if needed and the hoop is what holds the layers together and smooth.
I used a really great rayon Batik for the backing (the same used in the top)
I plan to use black thread, size 12 perle cotton, for the quilting.
It is nice to do larger quilting for a break from some of the others with regular quilting thread.
Here are some pictures of the snowflake quilt with a zillion small stitches (click pictures to enlarge)
More updates on the other quilts in progress coming soon
I worked on the quilt for Teddy over the weekend and I finished it Sunday night.
see the post about the quilting here.
Since the hand quilting was very simple It went pretty fast. Teddy has a favorite toy, a fake dog bone, so I used that for the border design.
Here it is all quilted and before binding. It is made from the bandanas he gets from the groomer and I kept the piecing simple so they would still look like what they are. I also kept the quilting on the bandanas very simple, just outlining the pieces .
Here it is after binding.
I used the same fabric for the binding and the backing
here he is trying it out
He seems to like it
Here are a bunch of pictures ….
Finished it just in time for the cold fall weather…..it has been going down to the 30’s and 40’s at night.
Now back to work on my pile of UFO’s
I started hand quilting the Teddy quilt.
Teddy is an on top of the quilt guy so I wanted the quilt to be very thick and puffy. I used an extra loft poly batting.
The backing is a dog bone pattern
As always I pin basted the layers together (very few pins works best for me)
I am hand quilting it with black perle cotton thread #12 and a size 5 embroidery needle. A note about perle cotton thread; it is different than embroidery floss. Embroidery floss is not a good choice for hand quilting. The individual strands are not as strong and are not twisted together like they are in perle cotton thread.
I am not marking this. I am just quilting around the pieces and then adding 3 more rows by eye .
You can see Teddy on the far left checking my work.
He asked if he could sit on it yet
I got his approval.
I did make a few more border pieces for the Batik Quilt.
It wont be too much longer before I get the top finished (I hope)
As promised here are a few pictures from the Basic floral design class I teach. (click pictures to enlarge)