Hand Quilting Frame


I moved some of the stuff into the studio space.    I do not have fancy specialty cabinets as work stations.     I have recycled kitchen cabinet bases with boards on top.


I still have a few door to put back on.   The top on the center table fits the 3 foot by 5 foot cutting mat.     the table with the metal legs is also 3 x 5 feet and that has a pressing surface on it.

My main machine is in a vintage 1950 machine in a vintage 1950 cabinet.


It is a Singer 301A and it is the best machine ever made in my opinion.    Just straight stitches and that really is all I ever need.


The right side of the room gets my desk and bookshelves …..tomorrow I hope. I have so much stuff!!

I set up the quilt frame and look forward to getting to work on the quilt that has been in the frame forever.    I just had so much stuff in the way that I couldn’t work at the frame. but with the new space I have the room for it.

This one is a cool scrappy 1900 quilt that I am free-form arc quilting.



You can see that I also have the Grace hoop ready to go with the antique applique quilt in it.

The living room is full. I need to have that clock repaired but it is nice to have a space for it where it isn’t tucked behind a door and unseen.


I still have to hang quilts and do window treatments.

Teddy is exhausted! he has made so many trips up and down the stairs today.  He is napping on the floor where it is cooler.  But he did decide to have his picture taken first.


Maybe some gardening next time

Happy Quilting


Some hand quilting


Since it is summer I have been spending less time hand quilting and more time gardening. It really is great to be able to spend some time in the garden but it does mean I get less quilting done.

I have made some progress on this one


It is hard to see in the picture but the 3 blocks in the center are done.

here it is in the hoop.


and under Teddy


And here are more garden pictures.

Happy Quilting


Gardening and quilting


I have the trapunto in the center of the Reindeer quilt finished.


One corner to finish.


Teddy thought if he covered it up I would not need to finish it.


It has rained a bit so it is wet and cloudy.   could use a lot more rain but the garden is growing.    There is not a lot blooming right now but here is another batch of pictures  (click pictures to enlarge)

Happy Quilting


May Day

The Bleeding Heart plants are really starting to look great

May Day, May 1st.
In some parts of the United States, May Baskets are made. These are small baskets usually filled with flowers or treats and left at someone’s doorstep. The giver rings the bell and runs away. The person receiving the basket tries to catch the fleeing giver; if caught, a kiss is exchanged.
Here is a May Basket quilt. (or at least one that reminds me of may baskets)

DSCN2866 DSCN2877 DSCN2900

you can read more about how I made it here  http://timquilts.com/2014/07/06/liberated-baskets-finished/

Spring is in full swing and there are daily changes in the garden.   here are pictures from today (click pictures to enlarge)

Happy May Day


More Vintage Quilt Tops


I have another batch of vintage tops photographed for storage.

Here are the 4 posts for all the others tops I have already packed. There are hundreds :)    quilt tops 1,   quilt tops 2/ , quilt tops 3quilt tops 4 ,

Here is the newest batch (Click on the pictures to enlarge)

Next I have to organize all the blocks … I have tons of partially finished tops and blocks that will some day be finished.

Happy Quilting


Basting the next one


I got the next quilt pin basted today.

I used this fabric for the backing.


I had a few questions about a source for the fabric.  You can see all the information on the selvedge to do a search for the fabric.

I got mine at Marshall Dry Goods for $4.99/yd It looks like they are sold out of black, but have it in a few other colors here  http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/product-category/riley-blake-designs/

A lot of books and “experts” tell you not to seam the backing in the center.  I always do.  It seems like extra work to cut one of the lengths in half and sew it on , one on each side like this.


I do a center seam and I don’t worry about the quilt police. I do press that seam open.
I tack the backing to the floor right side down.


Then lay out the batting and smooth it out.

This is the batting I used.


It is easy to work with the wrinkles come out easily


now I lay out the top and smooth out the wrinkles.


Teddy inspects the work.


I add the pins.   They might be hard to see in the picture because there are very few.   I don’t find the need for nearly as many as most sources suggest.


Ready to hand quilt.   I plan to use black 40 weight hand quilting thread.  I will do it without marking anything.   I will use the piecing as a guide.   More on that when I get started.

I did a bit more hand quilting work on the Mackintosh Rose.

DSCN6380 DSCN6379 DSCN6378

Happy quilting


Next project


A few weeks ago I finished this top


I ordered some backing fabric for it.


And today I bought the batting.


I have used it before and I really like it.   I will post pictures when I get started on it.

It has been cold the last few days but the weeping cherry tree is in full bloom.    When I got the camera and told Teddy to come outside for pictures he just stared at me.


I guess he wants to wait for it to warm up again.

Here are some garden pictures without Teddy (click pictures to enlarge)

I said I was done working on the Mackintosh Rose ….but I did a little more

DSCN6359 DSCN6358

Happy quilting