Christmas Tree Skirt…..Jelly Roll project

I have been thinking about Christmas again….. is it because its been cold and dark the last few days?

Last year I made a tree skirt using a jelly roll.

It was a pretty simple weekend project.  I sewed the strips into a few strip sets (10 strips per set) And then cut them into wedges…the Idea being to make the pieces like giant Dresden plate petals.  Here is a crude diagram

I had to spend some time getting the pattern for the wedges.  I cut a large circle of paper and folded it several times to determine the right size.

The wedges are then sewed together into a circle.  I then basted the circle to batting and backing and decorative stitched the layers together.

The decorative stitching also acted as the quilting.   I finished with Binding and ties of the same fabric.

Here is a picture of the skirt on a tree.

Not to bad for a weekend project…and one jelly roll of fabric.

I almost never do a project entirely on the sewing machine.  I enjoy hand work much more, but this was fun.

And now for the pineapple applique quilt update.

I have almost finished hand quilting 5 blocks!….there are nine total and then the border.

It may be hard to see the quilting.  Click the picture for a larger view.

It seems like it is taking forever but there is quite a lot of quilting involved….

13 thoughts on “Christmas Tree Skirt…..Jelly Roll project

1. Caron Mosey says:

Wow, you’re flying on the hand quilting on your pineapple applique quilt!!! It’s looking great! And I love the tree skirt. Every year I tell myself I need to make one, and each year it gets by me again.

2. Ann Champion says:

I really like your tree skirt! Very clever of you to use the decorative stitching to quilt it as you went.

Now that Pineapple quilt…I can’t believe how fast you’re getting it quilted! Holy cow..you’re a human quilting machine. It’s gorgeous. 🙂

Hi Ann
      Glad you like the tree skirt…it was a fun and FAST project
      I don’t know about being a quilting machine….but I am going fast on this one….I have 2 others I have been working on…off and on for a year…this one I guess Im more “excited” about and I cant seem to put it down!

3. jean says:

Loved the tree skirt. Im a beginner and was wondering if you have directiont in more detail. Thanks jean

Hi Jean
      Glad you liked the tree skirt. Let me write us some directions and I will e-mail them to you. It was a fun project…and very easy….but it will take a bit of writing to get clear instructions

I did a little direction sheet and added a link to it in the post at the end of the tree skirt part. Just my hand written notes so not pretty but it should help

4. Lynn Ouellette says:

How much fabric do you need for the backing and binding?

I made the binding with fabric from the jelly roll. the skirt is about 44 inches wide so you would need 1 1/4 yards for the backing

• Lynn Ouellette says:

Thanks. I plan on making two tree skirts from the one jelly roll and therefore need to purchase extra fabric. Have two sets of ten strips sewn and I think the skirt will be lovely.

great!…Im sure they will be beautiful!
        now you have me thinking I should make a few more

5. Diane says:

Tim,
    The tree skirt is beautiful! I wish I had seen yours before I started one for my daughter. Do you think you could come up with a wall hanging using a jelly roll to make a Christmas tree? The green strips cut on the diagonal would make ideal tree branches.
    Thanks so much!