Wild Goose Chase/Odd Fellow’s Quilt Top

Another eBay quilt top arrived yesterday.  I could not resist…I am powerless over antique quilt tops.

How could I pass it up?  It has some of my favorite fabrics, cheddar, indigo, double pink, madder paisley, purple (which ages to a grey purple).  It has large squares for some fun hand quilting, it is good-sized, 76″ x 96″,  and It is a pattern that  I didn’t have.  So how much did it cost?…….drumroll……$21.50

some close-ups of the blocks (click to enlarge )

Why so cheap?

Someone thought it would be a good idea to wash it.  While I am not opposed to washing I do think that it is best to be careful!  this is what can happen when you aren’t

I still think It is great!…I can overlook the bleach spots(or whatever caused them) and the fading in a few spots, the overall is still great.  Sometimes when a top is washed it falls apart but this one was very well made…the stitches are so small and tight and even(I don’t think I could do as well)

As you can see I have some trimming of loose threads to do as a result of the washing.

I don’t often start a quilt as soon as it arrives but I started planning this one as soon as I unpacked it.

In an earlier post I wrote about some vintage templates that I have.  This quilt called out for one of those.  Here is the one I will use.

The large squares fit this template perfectly

The half blocks will get a partial wreath

The pieced blocks, Odd Fellow’s Or Wild Goose Chase (I can’t decide which to call it) will be outline quilted by the piece.

I mark with a clover wash away marking pen when the fabric is light-colored.  I did a test and it washes out with no problem.

I have a nice wide (108′) backing fabric to use

It is “Documentaries by Benartex” .  I think it feels at home with the top.  I will likely use an indigo binding.  The bating will be cotton.

Now I have to finish up the marking, get it laid out and basted together and get to the fun part….Quilting!

I will keep the progress posted.

10 thoughts on “Wild Goose Chase/Odd Fellow’s Quilt Top

So cool! Oh that’s going to be a great one.

2. Sue says:

I think this to be a real sweet quilt and the price you paid is pretty sweet too 🙂

I love that vintage template. Where did you get those? Sure looks like it will go great on this lovely quilt.

Your work is quite inspirational and I am enjoying following your blog . I see that you’re a fellow Michiganian too 😀

Hi Sue
      It was a sweet price! I purchased a lot of about 20 different vinatge templates on eBay from the estate of a former quilting teacher…they are so fun to use…I plan to trace them out and make new with plastic so I dont mess up the old ones….but I couldn’t wait to get started on this one.

I loved you post about Broners!! I have not been there in s few years but I love it….I only live about an hour away so I think I need to make a trip soon
      Merry Christmas

3. Cathi says:

What a fabulous deal you got! That vintage template is just perfect for this quilt — I can’t wait to see your progress!

4. audrey says:

what a wonderful quilt top! i can tell you’re going to have fun with this one!

I am having fun!…I will have a progress post soon (perhaps today?)…..I can hardly put it down but there are other things I should be doing so I will likely not make and big progress untill after the holidays

5. […] take a break.  If I keep going I will get sloppy and have to re-do it, so its back to work on the wild goose chase for now.  I’m making good progress on […]

6. […] started this one on December 20th 2011, (see the post here) and worked on it quite regularly then got sidetracked with other quilts and this one got put […]

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )