Antique string pieced star/hexagon/spider web top

Does it surprise anyone who reads my blog that I bought another antique top from eBay?

I could just not pass it up even though it was only partially finished.

I have been looking at string pieced quilts a lot since I purchased some string star blocks in CO.  I was also inspired by the work Kate at empty field has done on string stars.  And then Barbara Brackman had a post about string pieced quilts in a  similar pattern on her blog.  So when I saw this top I knew I had to have it.

Here is one block

Isn’t it interesting how the 60 degree diamonds made into a star can create hexagons when they are put together

there are some great fabrics

the blocks are all foundation pieced by machine

I will need to do some taking apart and re-assembly in order to square it up

I think it will make a beautiful quilt!  Here is a similar quilt from the quilt index

So there is now another project added to the growing pile of “some day quilts”

19 thoughts on “Antique string pieced star/hexagon/spider web top

1. Cathi says:

You really do find some treasurers and these blocks are definitely going to create a fabulous quilt. It’s going to be fun to watch this one turn into another beautiful quilt.

This one almost got past me….8 other bids before me….but I had to have this one…I just love the way that yellow center strip forms the hexagon….and the fabric

2. antarabesque says:

Very smart looking quilt, and no I am not surprised about another ebay purchase. It is lovely!

I should own stock in ebay!

• antarabesque says:

Actually, I think my sister should. She has 1000+ positive feedback, and she is not a seller….

yikes! I have 243….but most of those are quilt tops

• antarabesque says:

Wow, so many quilts, so little time. How many do you still own? Every time I look at my fabric stash I get farther and farther behind (maybe if I stopped buying I wouldn’t feel so). I can’t complete quilts fast enough to start all the ideas that are twirling in my imagination. And then, of course, the light on the sewing machine burns out, and the replacement is an hour drive away. I’m at a standstill, and it is too soon for the garden, so I am in a creative quagmire.

Honestly I have lost cound of antique quilt tops that are in the stack waiting for me…over 150….I have sold about 6 finished quilts….but people dont like to pay anywhere close to what they are worth these days so its been a while since I have sold any. Mostly I just like to keep them…I understand about not being able to keep up with ideas!! I wish I could quilt 5 times as fast so I could keep up with my brain

3. Cathi says:

Oops, meant treasures!

4. Kate says:

Isn’t it weird how it’s “grown” …why on earth would there be missing bits in the middle??? I wonder if the finishing simply defeated the original maker..argh! Don’t you just wish quilts could talk… I’d have lots of questions to ask THIS one! Love it.

its a strange top because of the missing parts that is for sure…I would love to be able to ask why ….I would also love to ask it if it approves when I get it “fixed”

5. Jill says:

Great quilt top and I think you will make it beautiful!

But what a great pile of “someday quilts”!

What great fabrics in this one – love that dark green, sets off the others so well.

8. belinda says:

Oh my goodness! I am making this very quilt right now! In fact, I have just about gotten all my ‘diamonds’ made for the size I want! I spent quite a while last night arranging and re-arranging them trying to decide how I will sew them all together. Yours shows in a star, hhhmmm, that is a different way to do it. I am following Barbara Brackman and Sujata from The Root Connection’s instructions.
    I love the ones you have shown here. I may have to come back and ‘stare’ at yours some more. I have one photo of mine on my blog taken when I first started, but I have tons more diamonds done now.
    I must say, it is most certainly like putting a puzzle together, but I REALLY like mine!

My photo is on my March 24 post.

The seeting is different on the antique than the one in the Barbra Brackman post…But I love both settings…I have a lot of work to do to “fix” mine…I will go take a look at your…thanks!

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )