Quilting the Pyramids

Since I finished the wild goose chase quilt I had to start a new project (even if I do still have several others to finish).  I decided to finish up the Thousand Pyramids that I re-made. (I re-made the top all by hand so there is no machine stitching at all)

As usual I do the layout on the floor and pin baste the layers together.

I used a wide backing fabric (no seams) that I bought at Everlasting Stitches in Holt MI, a great store!

The batting is Quilters Dream Cotton Select.  I have not used it before but it looks like it will work.  I have tried Dream Cotton Request (thinner) and I hate it, it is like nothing..it doesnt give me the look I like. It is as if I am using no batting at all.  The select is a bit thicker and so far I like it.

I am doing very simple quilting following the pieces 1/4″ from the seams and then echo quilting 2 more times in each. I don’t do any marking for simple quilting like this.

I think that the quilting should support and enhance the piecing.  I am not a fan of all over quilting that does not follow the piecing.  I think quilting should be dictated by the piecing of the top and each top is different.  I let the top tell me how it should be quilted.

here is a picture of the back

I am using a 14″ hoop and I can quilt 6 triangles before I have to re-hoop

I have not counted how many times I will need to re-hoop…that could be discouraging.

I will post some updates on the progress as I move along

18 thoughts on “Quilting the Pyramids

1. karen says:

that looks great quilted that way and I totally agree you that the quilting should go with the quilt pattern. I disagree though on the batting 🙂 I use the “request” loft a lot I like in summer weight quilts which I use most of the year round here. When I wash the quilt it gives me the puffiness I want. I do use “select” loft for my winter quilts – Joseph’s Coat has that one in it as I want to have that one on the bed in the winter time.
    Karen

I have not finished one with request yet…it just didnt look or feel right so I set the quilt aside and have not worked on iy in months…I will have to finish it and wash it. Thanks for the info on how it washes …I have hope for that quilt again!

2. Meredith says:

Sometimes I like all over quilting that does not follow the piecing. It gives it motion. Depending on the quilt all over baptist fans can have a great effect. Your work is lovely as ususal. Have fun!!

3. Mandy Currie says:

This quilt is absolutely beautiful Tim, you must stich for hours to get all the work done that you do. Have you ever worked out the hours you spend a day? I love hand work and this is particularly lovely. Good for you. Kind Regards Mandy Currie

Hi Mandy
      Thanks!
      I have not figured out how many hours a day I work on quilting….I usualy do at least 4 hours at night in front of the TV…sometimes I do more…sometimes less….but hardly a day without doing some

4. Carla says:

Thanks for the info on Quilter’s Dream Select. I have used the request and liked it but wondered if the select would give a bit more definition. Hand pieced and hand quilted quilts have a much softer feel than those that are machine pieced and hand quilted anyway I feel there is a difference

Every one has a different experiance with batting based on how they expect it to feel and drape…but I think the select is going to be good for me…I hope you like it as well!

5. Pip says:

I agree with you about the top telling you how to quilt it, I think that the quilting should enhance the piecing but not overwhelm it, like you are doing with the pyramid quilt

6. cmosey says:

Tim, you are a regular quilting machine! I can’t believe how fast you work! This quilt looks so good, considering how it started! The quilting you’re doing on it is absolutely perfect.

Thanks Caron
      I might seem like a quilting machine but since I have been feeling rotten lately I have not been up to doing much other than quilting. But I am getting a lot of that done!

7. liz says:

Beautiful quilt I agree with you about quilting : )

8. audrey says:

I have been contemplating hand quilting my pyramids quilt top next and wondering if it had to have an all over quilt design to showcase it. Your quilting looks great for the pattern! Maybe I’ll stick to what I do best and go with the simple.:)

Comments