Fearless use of color

I recently purchased yet another vintage quilt top. It arrived today.  The use of color amazes me.  I don’t think I would have been able to so fearlessly put together all those colors.

Sometimes ignoring the rules works!

But not the rules of construction.

The top was machine pieced and the fabrics are a mix of cotton and poly blend solids.  Once the quilt is laid out it is obvious why it was never quilted. Poor construction.

The top is just not flat enough to quilt as it is. A lack of measurement caused the problem.

I suspect that the maker did measure the strips (they are all 1.5″ wide and finish at a bit over an inch) but the length of the strips was not measured. They were sewn on and cut off at the assumed correct length and row after row the slight differences add up and you can see the result.

I love the top!   I love the use of color!  so how do I fix it?

I used thumb tacks to pin it to the floor (using the floor boards as straight edges) this squares up the outside edges and lets me see how big it is(73″x87″).  Now I will gather the extra toward the center and cut it out along the folds.  The picture below shows the top in a preliminary pinned position.

I will do the cutting along the corners and try not to change the overall look of the top.  the difference being that there will be mitered corners.

when I am ready to do the work on it I will pin it to the floor again but wrong side up, do the folding and gathering very carefully to match all the corners and pin it…then sew along the pinned line and then cut off the extra.  It might take a bit of work but it will be worth it.

Remember to use all the crayons!

12 thoughts on “Fearless use of color

1. antarabesque says:

Smart fix! I too love the colour combinations.

2. karen says:

wow that one sure wouldn’t quilt out! Good luck on the fix.
    Karen

3. audrey says:

wow! that is one gorgeous quilt top! i think the miters will fix the problem admirably without ruining the look of the quilt at all. kudos to you for being willing to make the effort!

Good luck with that one, but I know it will be really nice when you fix it! I had one similar come to me to quilt and the customer stated that she just knew I could quilt it out! HA! I sent it back home with her to try again.
    I really need to get that sign up “I’m a longarmer, not a magician”

Im no magician either!…only so much can be “quilted out” we are talking several inches on this one….fortunately the pattern is not going to show the fix the way it would if it was a uniform pattern….if it were different I might have to cut out an entire row of blocks

Hey, that top rocks! Someone had an eye, if not the technique to implement it. Such good colors used in in good proportions, a/symmetry, really inspired. Andrew thinks so too. How large is it? [His usual question ;-)]

Its a good size 73″ x 86″ should be anyway after the repair job. And I think it will get a border to make it more like 83 x 106. It is different than what I normally go for but as you say its inspired

6. Cathi says:

What an absolutely fabulous quilt that’s going to be when you work your magic on it — I love the effect of those long strips of colour. The mitred corners will make it work perfectly, I think.

Comments