Sunbonnet Duck Pattern

Yesterday I posted a new quilt top with applique ducks.  I have had a few requests for the pattern.  I did some looking and I can not find the origin of the pattern.  I did not find an example on  The Quit Index.  I did not find it in  Barbara Brackmans Encyclopedia of Applique.  I could not find any examples on the internet so the source is unknown. I traced the pattern and here it is.

I have scanned the tracing and made a PDF file if you want to print the pattern at actual size click on the link ((   sunbonnet duck  ))  here.

The applique was done raw edge so no seam allowance is needed, just trace out a template and applique.  Follow the picture for the embroidered embellishments.

21 thoughts on “Sunbonnet Duck Pattern

There was something about the blocks that said folk art to me, and I’m happy that someone did create that just out of his/her vision of a duck in a bonnet.

2. Jeanette says:

Even though I have made a “Sunbonnet Sue”. This pattern is much cuter. Love it and Loved the setting you showed on previous blog
    Wish I had an upcoming grand to make it for. Will hold the pattern for future possibilites. Thanks for sharing.

3. Barbara Wells says:

Thank you so much for the pattern. I will be making it for future great grand kids- when I see a vintage pattern I like I just do them, quilt them and put them on the shelf. I have done most of Ruby Short McKim’s children’s quilts. I have the fun of doing them and they will be ready when the greats come! Life is too uncertain and short to wait. Thanks again! Love your blog!

4. Kathleen Campbell says:

Thanks Tim,
    It is really cute. If and when, I’ll post.
    Kathleen

5. myrosesindecember says:

Maybe it was originally traced from a children’s book or coloring book? From wherever it originated, it made its way to Tim and he kindly shared with us. Thank you SO much. I can see lots of little babies in the NICU at Cooper University Hospital covered in little duckies. Hmmm, maybe I could draft a baseball hat for the duck for the little boy babies. So cute, Tim. Thank you for sharing. I did copy all the photos of the different color combos so I have a guideline to the original. One thing that has stopped me from buying vintage blocks/quilts was worrying that the fabric would just disintegrate when I worked on it. Have you ever encountered one that you could not salvage/quilt?

Im so glad that you will be using the pattern! Let me know how it works out.
      I have had a few old quilt tops that needed some replacement fabric. Some of the very old fabric does not hold up well. I think a lot of that depends on how the fabric was stored. Hot dry attics are not good places for fabric!

• myrosesindecember says:

I always remember a quilt my Mom made for my son – back in the days of just calicos being available. I found, after about 10 years of daily use, the fabric just started to shred – but only certain fabrics, not all. As you examined it, you could tell this was happening where the fabric had been folded on the bolt and I often wondered if that bolt had been in a store window. Long after Matt was too tall for the quilt, I used it and it got so soft, but is just disintegrating. Sad, since Mom is gone. She did it as a quilt as you go, so I took the quiltapart in an effort to come up with enough intact ones to make maybe a wall quilt, or maybe I will just frame the good blocks for my children. I know I cannot part with it. It always amazes me how silken muslin can come to feel after a few washings.

6. Dolores says:

Merci. Kiitos. Danke. Thank you.

7. lv2parasail says:

Thank you for this stencil. I have looked many places for this but no luck. Again thank you!

8. […] When I purchased the top I made a tracing of the design and a PDF file of the pattern.   If you would like to make your own here is a link to the pattern https://timquilts.com/2012/07/07/sunbonnet-duck-pattern/ […]

9. Carolyn Sokomin says:

This quilt us so charming. Thanks for making the pattern available to us.

I enjoy the garden pictures. They look similar to my backyard.

Comments