Houses Quilt Finished

I started  hand quilting this quit on June 7 (see post)  And I finished it on July 8.  I am very happy with how it turned out.  As I wrote about earlier the piecing was anything but perfect, there were many puckers, points that didn’t line up, pieces put in upside down, but now that the quilting is all done I think all the flaws are now so much less obvious. since the top was not perfect I did NOT try to make my quilting perfect.  I used larger stitches than I would on a “special” quilt but I think that fits the quilt.

You can see that it needs to hang for a bit to get the wrinkles out, it just came out of the drier.  Yes the dryer …even wool batting can go in the drier if the quilting is dense enough.

I did the binding by bringing the backing fabric to the front.  I don’t know why but this is my favorite way to bind a quilt (perhaps it is because I don’t have to buy additional binding fabric).

The batting is Hobbs  Heirloom Wool and the backing is a 90″ wide navy blue (some of the pictures don’t show the real color) from Jo-Ann fabric (on sale)

I used Coats Cotton  100% cotton hand quilting thread…about 1000 yards.

I quilted my Name and date into the border but it is hard to see in pictures….it shows best on the back

I took some pictures of it on a bed and some close up etc.  Here are all the pictures (click to enlarge)  and Happy Quilting

24 thoughts on “Houses Quilt Finished

1. Dolores says:

Good for you. Now on to the next quilt.
    One saying we have used for years is “It’ll quilt out.” It doesn’t always but in quite a few cases it does work.

2. belinda says:

OH MY! OH MY! I LOVE this quilt!! And CHARM indeed! The quilting style you chose goes quite well with the vintage blocks!
    Congrats Tim!! ….clapping….

I.LIKEE.

3. Awesome job! I love how you quilted your name and date in it!!

4. Barbara Wells says:

Love your quilt and quilting! I have done a few vintage quilts and they are so charming to work on. I think today we over think and worry too much about making it “perfect”, and having THE perfect fabrics. Working with old quilts teaches you to just enjoy the process and enjoy the creativity of those gone before who couldn’t run to the store for exactly the right fabric. Great job on the houses!

5. audrey says:

I really love this quilt and have thoroughly enjoyed watching it reach its full potential. I totally agree with the previous comment (via Barbara) that vintage quilts truly have something to teach us. Congrats on another great finish!

6. Oh Tim, it is just wonderful – and I love your new blog background. How appropriate. I have never brought the backing to the front but it surely seems like a good idea. Did you quilt this by hand???? You are putting me and my three small quilts that need to get done, to shame.. Fabulous job! Nancy

Hi Nancy

Yes it is all hand quilted…I have only done a few by machine…I like hand quilting so much more so that is all I do now. Glad you like it

7. Mandy Currie says:

Tim, your house quilt is gorgeous, I’m amazed that it took only four weeks. YOu are so talented. Kind Regards Mandy Currie

8. Congratulations on a great finish! The texture from the quilting is amazing!

9. antarabesque says:

Thanks for taking us on this journey. It was so fun to watch your progress. The finished product is fabulous, quaint and totally charming. This is the first I have heard of using the backing as the binding, what a great idea! I’m going to have to check out how to do it.

I will have to take some pictures of how to do the binding next time…I had planned to do it for this quilt but I got so excited to finish that I was done before I remembered

10. Karin Peirce says:

I made a quilt and used wool batting and it was wonderful stuff to work with. As usual, you do not disappoint, your schoolhouse quilt is fabulous…and I love the new quilt on your blog, that’s the corduroy one you did recently…?

11. b caissie says:

Hi, from eastern Canada. I think your school house quilt is very appealing to the eye!! It warms my heart and makes me Smile. 🙂 Love how you used the colours on the diagonal. Wonderful Work.

Comments