Flattening A Quilt Top

I posted earlier about a vintage quilt top that was just not flat enough to quilt

see the post here

I worked on it this week and got it all set to quilt.

First I had to cut out the extra fabric.  I pinned the top to the floor and cut it corner to corner then removed all the extra.

I had planned to sew it back together so that all the strips met up again at the corners.  They just would not do it.  the top was too irregular.   I ended up adding a strip of dark blue at the seams and as a border.

Now I need to get some backing fabric and I can start quilting.  I also need to think of something to use the extra fabric for

the widest piece is 6″ wide…there must be some use for it?  I have never made a mini Quilt…perhaps it is time.

31 thoughts on “Flattening A Quilt Top

1. cmosey says:

Tim, that looks fantastic! Much better, I think. About that extra fabric… how about making a few quilts for the Alzheimer Art Quilt Initiative? http://www.alzquilts.org/paq.html

2. Karen says:

no ideas from me on the scrap pieces other than a mug rug or two or three 🙂 I like the way you fixed the quilt – you saved yet another top that would have eventually been thrown aside.
    Karen

Awesome quilt top now! I would use that extra for the binding in random lengths and add strips of the colors in the quilts if you need more which i can see you will. Cut straight grain and not bias, it will add interest to the edges???
    Awesome house quilt, too, is it priced to sell now?

4. Willy Wonky says:

I know the perfect thing to do with the extra scraps. Make a quilt for the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative!

5. Like the solution of the black strips down each section. Adds an additional design point and solves any “matching” problems. Good idea.

thanks Donna
      it did solve my matching problems…..the only way to get them all to match would be to re-make the entire top!…I didn’t have that kind of energy!!

6. belinda says:

Oh my goodness!! You are a just a ‘genius’!! HA! Yes, really!
    Brilliant way to fix ‘er up! I kind of like that criss-crossing X. This one has appealing fabric choices too! BRAVO!

I’ve been thinking about you most of the day. I am back to hand quilting on my clam shell quilt. As I quilt and stumble through I try to pretend I am you……but WHO AM I KIDDING! HA! Pretending to be you sure doesn’t speed me up!!!!!!

7. jojo says:

It’s beautiful and the addition looks like a piece of ribbon candy running through it to me. Perfect solution!

8. audrey says:

That looks great Tim. Very retro, yet modern.

9. Barbara Wells says:

Loved your solution! I am sure the maker would be thrilled that her top was given new life and is going to be beautifully hand quilted!

10. Dolores says:

Great save. I still don’t know how you came up with the idea and figured out how much you had to cut out.

11. You are soooooo inspiring! Love how you saved the quilt top! Can’t wait to see how you quilt it!

12. Vicki says:

It looks like looking up at a beach umbrella when you’re sitting underneath it! …..Very Gee’s Bend as well!

13. You need to teach what you do with old tops and pieces. Lectures too. You certainly have enough quilts to show and enough experience to teach.

14. Very instructive, Tim. And I like what you did later with the scraps! Those mini-quilts will be great for the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative!

15. […] Here is what I started with, a top that was unquiltable.  See how I fixed it here. […]

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )