Big Stitch Quilting

I couldn’t wait to start the quilt.  I decided to try out some really big stitches.  Im going to have a period of adjustment to the huge needle  (#5 embroidery needle) and giant thread (size 10 crochet thread)

This is 5 stitches per inch….what Im having trouble getting is uniformity in stitch size….but that will happen as I get into the swing of it.

I used a peachy backing fabric

It is looking strange in this beginning stage but once there is a large area completed I think the look will come together.

Lots of stitching to go!

16 thoughts on “Big Stitch Quilting

1. Gerrie says:

Ooh, very nice! This stitching and blue fabric you inserted are really going to pull this whole quilt together in a very fine way. It must be difficult to adjust to the new thread and stitch length, but it’s looking really nice, like you’ve adjusted very well.

2. cmosey says:

Very cool, and that’s definitely what this quilt needs! You’ll get used to it, and it’s going to be marvelous!

3. LCP says:

I do a lot of big stitch and I have used a #5 embroidery as well as a crewel…I think it was a #26. I have better luck with the crewel needle because I think it is a bit shorter and the eye is larger … I also find that crochet and perle cottons untwist near the end of changing threads.
    Your stitches look good …the flavor of utility quilting tends to not be the exact of our fine hand quilting. I have been doing a lot of free hand Baptist fan quilting of late with perle cotton. It adds so much movement to the simple geometric quilts.

Thanks! I will have to give the crewel needle a try!…I do have the problem of the “unwinding” of the thread…so Im using shorter pieces…more knotting but less wear on the thread

Very nice, it will really look good. By my calculations, you should be done by next Tuesday!

5. Kathleen Campbell says:

I can see now that I’m gonna’ love this quilt.

6. Kate says:

Its so different! I really like it tho’.
    I found the same stitch irregularity moving from normal quilting to big-stitch, tiger tape helped me to get the stitch size under control.

7. Looks great! Love that you are using a dark thread…it will give great texture!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )