Mini Quilts

Today I am playing with the leftover scraps from the quilt top that I “flattened” a few days ago

It was suggested by a few people that I make those scraps into quilts for the Alzheimer’s Quilt Initiative.  Alzheimer’s Quilts must be no larger than 9″ x 12″ No exceptions.  So there is plenty to make a few.  I must admit that it goes against all my quilting instincts to make a quilt so small!  I have always said that quilts should be used…as in on a bed…as in functional.   It is hard to imagine 9″ x 12″ accomplishing that, but that is not the point of these quilts.  The point is to raise money for Alzheimer’s research, and from what I understand there are several people who have become serious collectors of these quilts.  So here is what I have so far.

They need to be pressed and quilted (by hand) and bound and then washed (I don’t think a quilt comes to life until it has been washed)  This is way outside of what I normally do, and I must say it is rather fun!

Temperature today in Lansing is going top 100 again!  most of the day will be spent moving the hose from place to place in the yard and staying cool inside in front of the AC

32 thoughts on “Mini Quilts

Excellent idea — great cause. I hadn’t heard of it. I know Leigh Fellner specializes in those tiny quilts, wonder if she’s involved.

Sympathize with your weather — we are also near 100 here outside New York City, although we did get rain on Sunday and are expecting a cracker of an electrical storm tomorrow. But in the meantime it’s just breathing in the humid fug and trying to stay in front of a fan.

it is so hot and dry ….I can only try to keep things alive….I am glad I’m not a farmer!….they are going to have a rough year!! try to stay cool

2. cmosey says:

Yay! Good for you. Those look great! Stay cool…

3. Karen says:

great idea to make them for the Alzheimer Group.
    Karen

4. Mike Pearson says:

I agree about the functionality of a quilt. I made a mini once, but it had a purpose (a place for the cat to lay since he wanted to use my big quilts and get hair all over them). Also, we think the same about washing. It brings the quilt to life! Thanks for sharing.

5. Jean says:

My first entry in the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative just sold a few days ago! I was thrilled. quiltsetcetera.blogspot.com – search Alzheimers for a couple of posts about the program. Fun to do and a great cause.

6. Dolores says:

Hot and humid here in TO. I beg to differ with you on the washing of a quilt. I use polyester batting and don’t wash them after finishing my quilts – they are not dirty. I don’t particularly care for the wrinkled old look – especially one that has not yet been used.
    Have fun with those minis. It’s nice to break out of one’s comfort zone every now and then.

Mine are very dirty when I finish them….I hand quilt in a hoop so much of the quilt spends a lot of time on the floor as it drapes down off of my lap…so they always need to be washed, and I use cotton so that I do get the “wrinkled old look” which to me is softer and more inviting…each quilter is different!

7. Great idea for the scraps! They are very modern-looking to have come out of such a vintage quilt.

I, too, have trouble making “small” quilts (anything smaller than 50″!) They just end up the size they end up and that’s usually “bed-sized.” I did do a couple of wall-hanging sized quilts as a fundraiser for my Guild (I think the limit was 72″ adding all sides, about 18″ square), but it was really tough for me to think in those terms.

it is very hard to think so small!…the entire quilt is smaller than a normal block!….but ya gotta follow the rules…..but for my slef always bed sized!!

8. audrey says:

The mini’s will be super fun to hand quilt I expect. They look great and it sounds like a good cause. My grandma had Alzheimers for over 20 yrs. which was a very long time to be afflicted with such a pitiful disease.

9. Barbara Wells says:

Great minis! I like the bigger quilts too, and as soon as the last stitch is in the binding it goes in the washer. I drag them all over when I quilt-even on the porch. Probably says a lot about my housekeeping-too busy quilting to keep a spic and span house anymore! I sympathize with you back east in the heat-I live in eastern Washington and until lately we have been cooler and wetter than normal, our crops are outstanding because of the extra moisture-now harvest might be another story! Every year is something different.

Hi Barbara
      Thanks
      I think housekeeping is just something people do in order to avoid quilting! glad to know Im not to only quilter who “drags the all over”!!

10. antarabesque says:

What a great way to support Alzheimers. A perfect way to use up those scraps. You must have a similar attitude to mine, I hate to waste fabric. Not sure what I am going to create with my stash of 1″ strips…
    I am accustomed to smaller quilts as we did 10 – 36″ x 48″ quilted banners for the sanctuary. It’s quick gratification!

11. LoriD says:

I’ve made several quilts for AAQI and am a huge fan of Ami’s grass roots efforts! yay! For making a quilting for the cause. I love it!!

12. Ami Simms says:

So glad we’ll be getting a few Priority: Alzheimer’s Quilts from you! Thank you for supporting the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative. And, in case you had not heard, our traveling exhibit will be in Grand Rapids in August at the AQS show. (I’ll be there Saturday afternoon.) Hope you and your readers get a chance to see the exhibit. The quilts will knock your socks off.

Ami Simms

13. Tim, I am thrilled that you have taken up our cause. I lost my dad to AD back in December of 2010, but have been working with Ami and the AAQI since its inception in 2006, becoming more involved with every passing year. I’m now the quilt registrar, so will look forward to receiving your registrations soon! Thanks so much for supporting AAQI!

14. Betyann says:

Welcome Tim. I warn you tho’ they are addictive. I too have been involved since 2006 and have made 92 quilts which is nothing compared to Audry Arno. The quilts that are made are amazing and AAQI is made up of ALL volunteers. Beth and Diane as you will see, are a dynamic duo.

Comments