Mice….not the computer kind

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could teach mice to help out?

Unfortunately they don’t seem to care much about quilting, except to cause damage!

I recently purchased a quilt top that was chewed to shreds by mice while it was packed away. (the damage was done before I got it)

I don’t think its funny!

But I know that there is enough left to save it.

There are 12 blocks that don’t have and damage and I think they will become a very pretty quilt some day.  I think I might change out the sashing, I am not sure about that pink.

I do like the blue and brown  so I might do a brown and blue sashing.

I am making progress on my big stitch vintage quilt.

and here is what the back looks like

It is going a little better as I get used to the synthetic fabric.  I have also found that thread conditioner (I’m using Thread Heaven brand) helps a lot!

10 thoughts on “Mice….not the computer kind

1. Karen says:

yes I would change out that pink fabric as well – it sure doesn’t go with the quilt very well does it.
    The quilting is going great on the one you are currently working on.
    Karen

I m not sure what the maker was thinking about with the pink…it is just too bright for my taste…but I like the blocks

The current one is going well but I get tired hands faster with this type of quilting….I think I might go back and work on one of the others and rotate between the two

Perhaps a brown and turquoise batik type sashing?? The pink and dark blue are a bit odd.
    I can’t believe your quilting on that quilt! 🙂

something with brown and turquoise would work well….it may be a long time before i get to work on these! but I will be keeping my eyes open for fabric

3. I kind of like the sashing…if it wasn’t pink (not a real fan of pink here.) Is the quilting going slow because it’s big stitch, the thread used or the fabric that the top is made of (or all three!)?

I do like the way it’s coming out. And you’re really fast. To get that far would have taken me at least 6 months!

I do like the sashing too but not the pink…that is the part I will have to change out. I think the quilting is going slow because of all 3! but since there is no marking and it is just straight lines I still should not take all that long to finish….If I had used normal thread I think I would be done with twice as much….oh well I do like the look of the dark thread so its worth the effort

4. audrey says:

Your stitching is looking great. Love the dark thread with this quilt!

5. Kathleen Campbell says:

My marraige certificate was chewed-up by mice when I lived in Mo.
    Right in the middle.
    Haven’t seen a mouse in Pa. yet. just luck I guess. 40 years!

that is luck!…I don’t have mice in my house (knock wood) but there a plenty of them around….I think I would rather have them chew up a quilt top than a Marriage certificate!

Comments