More Vintage Fans

I seem to still be on a mid-century kick.  I just got another quilt top from eBay, this one in a fan pattern that looks to me to be 50’s-60’s.

Teddy had to check it out as soon as it came out of the box.  He stands right at the edge of the top while it is on the floor and sniffs and looks, but today I told him he could sit on it…he gets very nervous as you can see. He thinks he is doing something wrong and gets off as soon as I take a picture.

The top has 156 blocks and is about 78 x 85 (I need to press it to see for sure)  This one will be taken apart and re-set, not because it is not well made, it is very nicely done, but because I want a less traditional setting.  It is not a national treasure so I don’t feel bad about making it my own.  Older more rare tops are a different story, those I try to keep true to the original design.

each block is made with a solid and a print as well as white muslin.

and it is pretty as it is

But I still think I will re-design the layout.

I went all out for this one and spent $30. It is all hand pieced there is no damage or staining so it should be easy to work on.

There are some fun fabrics (click to enlarge)

15 thoughts on “More Vintage Fans

Ooh, ooh, ooh, loving that metallic thread in the fabric in the first photo — sooooo ’70s! I had shirts with fabric like that when I was little (which is why I’m guessing the ’70s). But the whole thing is such a fun mix — the polka dots! The paisley! The poppies! The gingham check! And all hand-pieced, you say? Isn’t that unusual for the time? Teddy obviously thinks it’s too much fun — so much fun to sit on it must be illicit so he has to run away.

could be 70’s but there is mostly cotton fabric….not poly blends, and no 70’s calicos….hard for me to say…but fun regardless of age

• Kristen says:

Wow, no poly blends, has to be earlier than my impression. I saw some that looked ’50s to me, but it’s hard for me to imagine the paisley earlier than late ’60s. Whatever; it’s fun.

there are some loud ones! I need to learn more about dating fabrics from the era

• Willy Wonky says:

My guess would’ve been 50s or 60s, but it could be a time-span stash, and it will be a time-span quilt once Tim quilts it. 🙂 I think time-span will be a future category of collectible quilt. Right now, it’s just starting to be identified as a genre. And in my opinion, the nicely hand-quilted, appropriately finished quilts will be the top shelf.

2. Willy Wonky says:

Nice one, Tim. Mid-century is hot, hot, hot right now, but the quilt world hasn’t necessarily been quick to jump on the bandwagon. I think it’s because there are fewer mid-century quilts than, say, the 30s. I’ve not seen as many 50s quilts, but there are some really great ones if you look hard enough. In comparison, I’ve found a lot of great 70s quilts.

Thanks
      I think there are so few mid-century quilts because it was not the popular thing….pre the resurgence in the 70’s…post war…people wanted to buy things not make them

OK, I will save you a lot of time by not having to re-do it and I will go all out and give you $35.00.

4. Kathleen Campbell says:

Tim,
    You have good taste and certainly Good Luck with finding these quilt tops. Teddy is right this is a special quilt top.
    I will be waiting to see your fine quilting.

Kathleen

5. audrey says:

the colors are fabulous! great find!

6. haleyarden says:

What a lovely top! And such a good dog too!

Comments