More of the fan blocks

I finished up trimming the fan blocks today so now I can concentrate on designing a layout that I like.  I did run into a problem while pressing.  One of the fabrics was not colorfast!…here it is after pressing

I needed to fix that problem on this block and the others with the orange fabric.  I used Synthrapol.

Not cheap but works like a charm.  I put about a tablespoon full in a bowl and added boiling water dropped in the blocks, stirred them around and let them soak for about 5 min.  The synthrapol doesn’t stop fabric from bleeding, what it does is prevent the loose dye from re-attaching to the fabric…so the dye comes out in solution and is not reabsorbed by the other fabrics.  After the blocks come out they are rinsed and then dried and pressed.  Here is what the water looked like.

It is hard to tell how orange the water was (I should have used a glass bowl so it would show better)

Here is the block after

And here is the stack of trimmed blocks

And the scraps

Now for the fun part….putting it back together!

check back soon for a progress report

Happy quilting

Tim

15 thoughts on “More of the fan blocks

  1. Kathy Lancaster says:

    Can’t wait to see the finished quilt!!

  2. Tim, if you need ideas for layouts, don’t just confine your search to Fan blocks, but you can also use Drunkard’s Path layouts. (I knew this from my red and white fan quilt which is resisting being finished…it’s resting now…)

    There’s so many ideas out there on the internet that I had to put the ones I liked on Pinterest so I could remember what ones I especially liked.

    • timquilts says:

      I know there are lots and lots of places to look…but I don’t want to look at what anyone else has done….I want it to be my own…even if it ends up looking like one that has already been done….

  3. Dolores says:

    What was the size of the original? Are you thinking of making it bigger with sashing?

  4. Harlan says:

    Great Blog!

  5. I will be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what you do with the blocks!! It’s better than watching TV!

  6. Ginny says:

    Love what you did with the fan quilt. That looks amazing, and I like the roses on point! Your idea for the tape is neat. I pin the rows together and pin a tag to the top of each row marked in numerical order. After enough screw-ups, you learn these little dittys. Now if the newbies could get these tips before they do a lot of messin’ up.
    I enjoy seeing the things you come up with.

    • timquilts says:

      Thanks Ginny
      I am very excited to get those fans sewn together….
      I think that any trick the prevents me from using the seam ripper is a good thing!….but i must admit I still make the occasional mistake….I guess that is part of the process

  7. Ginny says:

    I aquired a vintage? antique? crazy quilt from Kansas. Some of the fabrics are shedded. Can I GENTLY applique over the pieces with similar fabric without harming the quilt? I want to leave ALL the embroidery showing. What would you do ?

    • timquilts says:

      those crazy quilts had a lot of silk fabric in them and it does do the shredding thing over time. What quilt restorers generally do is just what you suggest…applique a patch over the top of the shredded fabric to stabilize the quilt. generally they will use a sheer fabric so that the fabric below will still show….so that is what I would try

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s