Fan Quilt Layout

Do you remember those tile puzzles where you had to slide the tiles around to make a picture?

Or put the numbers in order.

Arranging quilt blocks can be a lot like those puzzles…but in my case I have 156 squares not 16.

Here is how the quilt top was arranged when I got it.

I did not want to copy anyone elses arrangement.  The point of re-arranging the blocks on this top was to make it my own interpretation, so I didn’t look at pictures on-line or in books, there are hundreds of pictures out there for inspiration but it is too tempting to copy.

I recently finished another vintage fan quilt and I liked the arrangement of blocks I came up with for it.

But I wanted something different…. So I did a few doodles of different ideas, but I needed to see the actual blocks in place. (which is where the puzzle feeling come in to play) Here is one of the arrangements that I really liked

The only problem with this one is that I had 12 blocks leftover, should I try to add them in ?  It might ruin the pattern.  I slept on it and this morning I rearranged the blocks to this

This one uses all the blocks and will finish at 78″ x 84.5″  and I might add a border to make it a bit larger.  I am happy with the layout and I will spend some time now rearranging some of the blocks to distribute the colors a bit better but this is basically how I plan to set the blocks.  I cant wait to see them all sewn together!

32 thoughts on “Fan Quilt Layout

Oh Tim, that arrangement is brilliant! You are the Quilt Design Star, no contest, no need for excruciating TV episodes! That is going to be beautiful.

2. I love what you ended up with. My red & white fan quilt is more like the first arrangement. (And I totally love the fan quilt with the solid borders around the fans…I might have to make one of those!)

3. Nelda says:

Your new design looks amazing…very 3 dimensional and wonderful. However I also love the original design because it looks like a bunch of little fans…I’m sort of old fashioned I guess.

4. Dolores says:

Both ways turned out very nice and ‘modern’ and I even like the original. I guess I just really like fan blocks. Whoever made them gave you a great starting point.

5. audrey says:

All I can say is WoW!

6. Haley says:

I like all the layouts! That last one looks the most “modern” to me for some reason.

7. Marian Jonas says:

Double WOW!!!!

8. rutigt says:

I really liked that last quilt! It´s very 3-D and wonderful 🙂
    Gun, Sweden

9. Kathleen Campbell says:

This setting make it look 3D. I like it.

10. Carla says:

Love your final layout, and thanks for the memories you stirred reminding me of the number puzzles. Spent a lot of time playing with those.

I played with those a lot myself…..My brother would pop all the tiles out and put them back in order (his way of solving the puzzle) I I would get so mad….but still lots of fun

11. Jeanette says:

I was so surprised to see your layouts. I wiuldnt have come up with that idea….My choice- the first one. Very unusual….second one is really good also. Tim, you are amazing.

Thanks! I have fun playing with different layouts…I guess there is computer program that people use for that but I like playing with the real blocks

12. Barbara Wells says:

I totally agree you are amazing! I love both layouts. I wimp out and look through books and quilt history websites. I am thinking maybe i need to “play more! Great job!

Thanks!
      These blocks were just such fun fabrics and colors that I thought playing with the layout was appropriate…if the blocks were 100 years old I would have been afraid to go outside of a traditional layout

13. Cathi says:

The setting you have decided on is fabulous! That is going to be a wonderful quilt!
    I remember those puzzles — they were fun.

14. Kate says:

Yep, love them both but the second is extra-great…I see 4 mickey mouse ears in th first arrangement which is just a little bit disturbing!

15. Rose Marie says:

Be still my beating heart … this is going to be an awesome quilt!!!!!

Comments