I spent some time adjusting the layout of the fans. Here is the starting point from yesterday.
I felt that I had to do some re-arranging because if you look at the blocks, some are pieced with a solid-print-solid-print…etc and some are the opposite. when 2 blocks come together there can be 2 solids together or 2 prints together. That would drive me crazy! I circled them here so you can see what I mean (click to enlarge)
I had to do a lot of shuffling of blocks to solve that problem. I had to pay attention to the solids and not so much the prints. Here is the final layout…still not perfect but it works for me.
Now to sew them together. Perhaps I am the only one who can’t seem to keep the blocks in order to sew them together but here is my solution.
Each row gets taped together and the blocks come off of the tape one at a time as I sew them together….If I don’t do it this way I am sure I would mess it up and turn one of the blocks in the wrong direction. One other method that I often use is pinning the blocks in order on a bed sheet…but I did not have 156 extra safety pins this time.
I got a new treasure in the mail today. You guessed it eBay got me again.
I got 20 of these blocks for $18.25. I believe they are made from an Anne Orr pattern. Pattern designer Anne Orr is known for the grid-work designs of her needlework. She was a needlework columnist for Good Housekeeping in the 1930s. As an entrepreneur she employed dozens of women to produce her designs and directing a successful mail order business from her home.
Here is a quilt design that I know she did. I see quilts in this pattern for sale on eBay often.
My blocks aren’t a single rose like these…to me they look like bouquets or nosegays with 3 roses.
they are all hand pieced with tiny little pieces (the blocks are 10 1/2 inches)
The group of blocks also came with a border of leaves and rosebuds
The border is 65″ x 75″ but the blocks will need some sashing to fill them out to fit the border
But I can not find an example of this pattern to see how it was intended to be finished. For this one I did a lot of looking on the internet. I checked the Quilt Index and came up with nothing. So I decided I need to think about for a while….I sat back down and picked up my current quilt to do some hand quilting got through one thread and then it came to me…the aha moment!
Set them on point
Now I get plenty of room for some quilting in the setting squares and once pressed the blocks will fill the space provided by the border.
I think I will add an additional border to the outside to make it a full-sized quilt (65″ x 75″” is a bit small for me) likely with white fabric and then binding with perhaps a matching green.
I think this will be a great quilt!
And this just in…here is a picture and info about the quilt….so I was not right about setting on point….but I might do it anyway….being the quilt rebel that I am….anyway thanks for the Info Ann-Mari