I have so many projects going at once I that I think I will need to focus on one or two and get them done rather than going back and forth between many. I did make some progress on some of them. I started to hand piece the fan blocks.
3 rows done and 10 to go.
I did some more hand quilting on my big stitch 70’s top
I am almost 1/2 way done on this one. here is the back.
Last time I posted about an antique quilt top that needed a soaking to get rid of some bleeding of the dye. I put some water on a few of the fabrics and then blotted with a tissue….the tissue turned blue so I knew that there was going to be a lot of blue bleeding as well as the red and the green. I filled the bathtub with hot water and added synthrapol…and soaked for about 15 min. The water became nearly black.
I drained that water and did it again….this time less dye release and the water was more pinky red
Next a good rinse, and then drying. Before I even started I knew that the colors of the top would end up being much lighter but I knew I couldn’t use the top as it was, and I like to wash my quilts after I hand quilt them so for this one it was better to get all that excess dye out before the quilting. I would have hated to spend months quilting and then wash it and potentially ruin all my work.
It did fade quilt a bit….but I don’t mind that…I think it looks pretty good. look at the before and after here
And individual blocs before and after
Not all of the dye came out, but I am confident that there will be no more dye bleeding and the little bit that is left I can live with. The blue became much lighter
the black stayed as dark as can be but you can still see some of the discoloration on the white
This one is going to have to wait for a while to be quilted. I need to finish some of those I have started first. But not that it is washed I can pack it away and not worry about it bleeding onto any other tops