Hexagonal Star Quilt Top

I purchased another vintage quit top.  It is a pattern that I did not have so I couldn’t resist.

It is not the largest top at only 74″ x 76″ but I will add a border and make it full-sized.

The thing that I find interesting about the top is the variety of fabrics.  At first glance I would say they are all 30’s and 40’s prints, but looking closer I find several that are much older.    A quilt top can only be as old as its newest piece so I do think it was made in the 40’s but someone had some much older fabrics in the scrap bag.  Click pictures to enlarge.

14 thoughts on “Hexagonal Star Quilt Top

Ooh, I just love a good Dolly Madison Star — and this one was such a find! Sort of like finding something at an estate sale and then realizing when you got home you got something much better than you thought. Very cool.

Ok, that does it, please put me in your Will….

3. Barbara Wells says:

Great top-I have one similar-but it is 30’s and it is not as well done as yours, Has a few puckers and minor “bumps” but I am not touching those shapes, I am going with the theory that it will quilt out. :o) Great variety of fabrics.

4. Willy Wonky says:

Yes, yes, Dolly Madison Star, and also Tumbling Block Star. Love it!

5. Amanda Best says:

What a beauty! This is a treasure! I adore scrappy quilts, especially the older ones that have many decades of fabrics in them. I think it is so great that many quilter’s are finishing up these unfinished tops from our previous generations of quilters, good luck!

6. gonerustic says:

Lovely quilt top – and it tells a story with its choice of fabric, untrimmed seam/s, and fabrics from different eras! =D

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )