Fan Quit Top Finished

I finished the fan quilt top today.  It finished at 82″ x 88″ after I added the border.  I almost always add a border to a top even If I don’t need the additional size.  The border is like a picture frame…It enhances the picture.

The second reason I add a border is that it allows me to fix any irregularities in the edges of the top.  These vintage blocks were all slightly different so the edge was a bit off….when I pin on a true straight-edged border I can work around the irregular edges and make it straight.

I just make up the differences in the seam allowance.

I need to give it a good pressing now and it will be ready to quilt

(I hate pressing!)

24 thoughts on “Fan Quit Top Finished

1. Cathi says:

It is gorgeous! I’m amazed at how quickly you got this done. Have you decided how to quilt it?
    I hate pressing too – but it makes such a difference that it’s worth it.

2. Barbara says:

I can’t wait to see it quilted. I hope this one is next on your list.

3. Barbara Wells says:

Just curious-do you mark the quarter inch with tape or marker or just eyeball it? It is a wonderful quilt-can’t wait to see how it looks when you quilt it!

4. Ginny says:

what ta ya got??? A bunch of elves working for ya ??? That was fast !!!

5. Una says:

It is amazing! Congratulations on the finish. I love the way you have asssembled the blocks – they look like fans! The border is spot on imho:) I just knew there was something special about terriers:) Greetings from Una in Norway

6. hélène says:

Looking beautiful! Congratulations!
    I don’t like ironing, but I love pressing fabrics and quilt-tops!
    Courage! 🙂

7. Ann Hancock says:

Another awesome layout, Tim. I don’t know how you get all of it done…and you taught all day at Garden Day, too!?! (Loved the eggplant in the arrangements, BTW!)

Well done!

thanks Ann….I think eggplant is beautiful!…and tasteless!!!
      I always have quilting going whenever I am sitting….and I try to avoid being distracted by silly things like housework

8. Byrd says:

It’s just beautiful! I love the blue border, too. I can see it in a guest room with freshly pressed sheets and a lovely little flower arrangement. Nice work! Take care, Byrd

9. audrey says:

I will never look at unfinished quilt tops in quite the same way I did before I started seeing your work with the same! Such potential in the less than perfect!

10. hélène says:

Strangely there is no reply-button after your answer about how to “ship back”. Is it because I can see there a very simple solution ?!??… ;))

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )