I got the top done. I purchased this top because I love the rustic look. (See the post about the top here for before pictures) I think the irregularities make it charming. I did not want to make any changes to it but I had to do some work to make it flat enough to quilt. I took it apart and did a lot of pressing and a little trimming and put it back together. I had to work around the red fabric. That was a real part of the appeal of the top to me so I had to keep that the size that it was and make the wonky log cabin blocks fit in. And this is the result.
I had to cut down 3 blocks on the bottom in order to fit them into the red fabric, and that doesn’t bother me a bit…I think it fits the quilt. it is a good-sized top…8o x 96, and now I will think about how to quilt it…something simple is in order and I hope that I can stick to that! I always seem to get carried away and quilt the heck out of them.
Here are some of the blocks which show the irregular piecing that I wanted to preserve. (click to enlarge) There are patterns and pictures all over for what they call “liberated log cabin” but here is a quilt that was 100 years ahead of its time.