Retro strip quilt progress

I am back to work on the strip quilt.  I started with a  vintage top that was not flat and needed some work.

I had to cut it apart and then add some sashing to make it flat and quiltable.

I now have over 1/2 of the hand quilting done.

The thick thread is hard on my hands so even though the quilting is simple it does take longer than I thought it would.  Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

11 thoughts on “Retro strip quilt progress

1. Gerrie says:

I don’t know why, but this is one of my favorite… maybe because the fix you came up with really does enhance the quilt, as does the quilting. Nice work!

Thanks Gerrie!
      I like it more and more…the more I get done the better it looks. when I hung it up to take pictures today It gave me a new perspective..I am so glad I decided to save this one

2. Dolores says:

Ditto Gerrie’s comment. Maybe it’s the navy blue that you used. Anyway, whatever it is, I think your ‘fix’ just enhanced the whole quilt. What kind of thread are you using that is so thick?

Just asking: have you ever tried a polyester batt? It’s got loft but it’s so easy to quilt through.

thanks….I do like the look of the navy…I think it is the contrast that works. the thread is size 10 crochet thread (1.5 mm)…very thick and hard to pull through the fabric, but its worth the effort….I really wanted the stitches to show…I was going to use #5 perle cotton…but this is much cheaper. I I have already used 350 yards. I have used poly batting in a few projects and I really don’t care for the feel of the finished quilt…cotton feels different to me…and I like the slight shrinkage that I get with cotton

3. audrey says:

Love the dark thread for this quilt. Very complimentary!

4. Byrd says:

Excellent re-do. You are pretty brave when it comes to reconstruction, but I think it is a total success. Watch out for arm-fatigue! Take care, Byrd

5. realgffood says:

I just happened upon your blog while looking for other gardening blogs. I am a beginning quilter, gardener, gluten free food eater, and I also had the best Schnauzer ever! Glad I found your blog.

6. […] Treasures, Diary of a Quilter, Lucie The Happy Quilter, Tim Quilts, A Crafty Fox, Hyacinth Quilt Designs, Squares and Triangles, Wombat Quilts, Lucie The Happy […]

Comments