Single Wedding Ring Repair Begins

I started working on repairing and finishing the single wedding ring quilt top.  The top had some great potential but a lot of problems.  The circles did not lay flat.

It is hard to tell from the picture but the red center is very “puffy”.

In order to get to the solution I started by looking at some of the rings without the circle in them

none of them were properly pressed so It is difficult to tell how large the circle in the center should be.

It looks like 7 inches but it really is not.  I need to press the rings first.  My dirty pressing mat has circles in the center that work for a guideline.  I pin the center down

this makes it look almost like a bowl

but when it is pressed the seams open correctly and it becomes flat

Now to determine how big the red circle should be.  The original was not right.  The opening is 9″

the red circle was 10 1/2 inches

If I use 1/4″ seams the circle needs to be 10″.  9 inches plus 1/4 inch added all around twice…don’t know if it makes sense to you but it that’s how I figure it.  Now what do I have that is the right size to use for a template?  I measured a few plates but found this mixing bowel to be the perfect size.

you can see how much too big the old red circle was.

I cut out a new circle, and pressed it in quarters

the creases will help me to pin the ring on evenly

after stitching and pressing it is flat and ready to go

I have a lot more to do….but this is a good start.

21 thoughts on “Single Wedding Ring Repair Begins

Good job! How are you going to do the outside edges?

Wow, that is fantastic — those fabrics are totally rocking, and I am so surprised at myself, that’s the last reaction I would have thought to have for ’70s fabric. And what kicking tomato red that is! Excellent finesse on the poor piecing. I imagine the original Becky Homecky just throwing up her hands at it.

3. hélène says:

I am learning a lot of things!
    Thank you!

4. Mandy Currie says:

I always thoroughly enjoy reading your blog whether it’s about quilts or gardening. This post was so interesting, when you first showed us the quilt, I thought how hard that was going to be to fix. You make it seem so easy. I really am learning a lot from you and that’s great thank you. Kind Regards Mandy Currie

Thanks Mandy
      I am so glad that you enjoy the blog…thats what makes me enjoy writing it
      fixes don’t have to be hard…the hard part is thinking it through without a pattern

5. Dolores says:

Are the circles all the same size? The outer dimension, I mean.

6. Ginny says:

absolutely amazing!! Now I know how to fix MY old quilt… Thanks!!
    Keep up the good work!!!

7. Barbara Wells says:

Have you ever thought of writing a book? I have learned more solutions to block/quilt problems from your blog than i ever did from the multitude of books i have. Learn something from every post! THANK YOU!

8. Carla says:

Love your use of a tape measure and a kitchen bowl. Wonderful solution, can’t go wrong if you use math and an iron!

9. Cathi says:

I love watching you take one of these tops and turning it into something fabulous! I hope you do write the book — I’d definitely buy a copy!

10. […] and another herehttps://timquilts.com/2012/08/15/single-wedding-ring-repair-begins/ […]

Comments