Single wedding ring repair/piecing 2

Yesterday I showed how I “fixed” the rings for the vintage single wedding ring top.  Today I want to share How I will join the rings.

First I finished 4 of the rings.  Here they are all stacked up…nice and flat and even.

I joined the 4 rings with 1/4 inch seams….using the wedges to find the quarter marks I lined the blocks up at those points

and sewed them together attaching the matching wedges

Now I can see the space to be filled and make a pattern for that piece.  The old piece was not correct, it was very full and puffy when pieced in

It is hard to see from the picture but that red diamond sticks up about 2 inches in the center and puckers at the points.  Since the original didn’t fit correctly I can’t use it as a pattern so I need to make my own.

I put a piece of paper under the opening (I am using a manila envelope because it is stiffer than printer paper) and traced the opening.

here is the result

I now have to add seam allowances …If I cut it this way it will be way to small.  I need to add 1/4″ to the outside edges…this accounts for the seam allowance on this piece, but I also need to add 1/4 inch for the ring side, so I add 1/4″ twice.  I use my bendy ruler which is 1/4″ wide

Now it may not look right but honest it will work.  Cut it out

I folded it in quarters to be sure it was symmetrical.  When folded all the edges should line up…this way you know it is the same on all sides.

Here it is on top of the old piece of fabric

I think you can see why it did not work.

Now that I have the pattern I cut a new piece and carefully pin it in…start at the center of each arch and pin out to the points

I would love to be able to do this without a lot of pins but it would never work.

next I hand stitch at 1/4″ (which I must confess I just eyeball…feel free to be more accurate than me!) and press

That makes 4 joined …

the rest is more of the same…the edges will be filled with red as well but only using 1/2 of the pattern.  I have some plans for the borders once the rings are done….stay tuned for that.

31 thoughts on “Single wedding ring repair/piecing 2

1. Kathleen Campbell says:

That is amazing! You are good and the way you figure things out is very helpful.
    Thanks, Kathleen

thanks….sometimes its a matter of trial and error…but this one was pretty straight forward…at least in my mind…I think that is because I have done similar piecing before

2. quiltmaker1 says:

It looks like it works but I am puzzled by adding the 1/4″ twice. The seam allowance of the arc will come off of the arc…. so I’m confused. I would just add 1/4 on all sides of the filling template?

if you were to fold 1/4 inch back on both sides…1/4 on the ring and 1/4 on the setting piece that would represent a 1/4″ seam…and it would create a 1/2″ gap between the pieces…since the ring is already a set size I need to add the 1/2 inch to the setting piece…hope the makes sense

3. antarabesque says:

I learned something! A bendy ruler, how practical is that?! The project is coming along beautifully. It almost gives me the confidence to try curves (to this point I am overwhelmed by the very thought.)

Excellent job! I had forgotten that the circles were touching. I have a pile of these and I’m going to have to dig them out and see if I can get them flat!

5. Gerrie says:

Thank you so much for this post. I have an old double wedding ring top that I would like to re-do someday (thanks to your inspiring projects), and you are giving me the courage to try… well, at least I’m now thinking about the methods I should use. Love that bendable ruler! Gotta get one now 🙂

great!…those old tops deserve to be helped out!….the bendable ruler is a great tool….I got mine at JoAnne fabrics….they also sell them in the art supplies department of the craft stores

6. Dolores says:

Once upon a time my guild was given a pattern for an appliqued Dresden Lady and we were going to make a raffle quilt. The pattern was handed out and for some reason it didn’t quite work. When they were handed back everyone had the same comment/problem. Well, we found out, by the lady that gave us the pattern (it consisted of two parts, the dresden wedges and the lady in silhouette), who was also a quilt teacher, that one of the pieces had the seam allowance added and the other didn’t. We all added our own 1/4 inch seam allowance and after so much struggle, we found out why the darn things never fit right. It would have been so easy for her to just tell us.
    You are working miracles with these circles.

thanks!
      I can just see how frustrating that would be!….one extra or missing seam allowance sure can throw off a project!….I hope that it worked out in the end

7. Sandra Henderson says:

I am so glad that I found your blog. Cathi at Quilt Obsession told me about it a few months back. I’ve not had time to get over much, but found your “subscribe to newsletter” and did that. I love that feature!~ Comes right to my mailbox!
    I’ve told many about you…
    Keep up the great work!

8. audrey says:

I am definitely learning something here with the measurements. Very interesting how it works out. You are bringing new life to these great stripey circles!

9. Cathi says:

It’s fabulous seeing how you go about fixing a quilt top and then turn it into a quilt.

Thanks Cathi
      I enjoy fixing …so much more than starting new…even if it sometimes is more work to fix than re-make…I guess I just enjoy the old fabric

10. realgffood says:

As a beginning quilter, I am blown away with your knowledge and techniques.

11. sewfrench says:

I have several quilt tops that belonged to two of my Grandmothers. I haven’t done anything with them because they need so much work. I know they’ll be more precious out of the box than in! You are an inspiration and have the patience of Job!

12. Janet Cooper says:

Don’t forget your “triangular” set-in pieces for the edge of the quilt need to be half the template PLUS a 1/4″ along the long side!

Actually I will use the full piece and then cut off the extra. It is much easier that way. I will write about that when I get there, I have set this project aside for a while to finish up some others

13. Paula Coleman says:

I have been commissioned to quilt a wedding ring quilt with this same type of bulk in each center. UGGHHH! I told my friend I could not quilt a motif once I saw the quilt, but could try to meander to set it down flat. I like your way of fixing the quilt, however, I don’t have that kind of time to fix it. I hope I can make this look good for her. She said she really doesn’t care how I quilt it. But I care!

14. Karin Peirce says:

Wow those are such great colors, and aren’t you clever to fix the bulging middle bit. I notice that a lot with some of the quilts I’ve gotten on eBay.

Comments