AQS Grand Rapids

I am in Grand Rapids for the AQS quilt show.

My quilt didn’t win any awards…but it really is an honor to have a quilt in the show.  One of the problems with the contest is the categories.

A. Quilter’s Choice: any quilting technique or construction method. Width 60″ to 110″; Length 60″ or
more.
B. Made By Machine: made entirely by machine. Width 60″ to 110″; Length 60″ or more.
C. Wall Quilts – Hand Quilted: quilted predominantly by hand. Width 30″ to 60″; Length 30″ or
more.
D. Wall Quilts – Machine Quilted: quilted predominantly by machine. Width 30″ to 60″; Length 30″
or more.

MY quilts only fit into the Quilters choice category ( I don’t do wall quilts), but the category includes machine quilting, or anything.  My quilt was one of only a few that were hand quilted.

Anyway I am glad that there are still few hand quilted quilts!!

I am not posting quilt pictures because the official AQS rule on that is that you may take pictures for your own use but you must have permission from AQS and the quilter to publish them on your blog.  I don’t want to break any rules.

I could not help myself from shopping.  Look at the mornings haul.

Hobbs is a show sponsor so they had batting at a great price…..the queen sized wool was $28…so I bought 4

I bought a sterling silver thimble that I cant wait to try out

Poor quality picture…sorry

2 fat quarter bundles of some beautiful reproduction fabric

8 spools of thread (my favorite and hard to find)

2 t-shirts, and  a tote bag.

Now I need to go back and look at all the vendors again when hopefully the crowds subside a bit.  Quilters are lovely people but when faced with aisle after aisle of quilt stuff they can become crazed and somewhat pushy and even rude….it becomes difficult to even get near the items for sale.

Grand Rapids is a beautiful city.  Here are a few shots from around the convention center.

I have a class to attend at 4:00:  A look at history through the eye of a needle.  It should be great.

43 thoughts on “AQS Grand Rapids

I’m a little surprised, okay, shocked that AQS would consider hand and machine-quilted quilts in the general, anything goes or just regular quilt category. Is this category not the backbone of the tradition? How could a machine-quilted quilt be considered in the same universe with a hand-quilted quilt? I don’t like this — it’s a concession to the “oh, nobody quilts by hand any more, dying art, have to keep up with the times,” attitude, which is, by the way, WRONG.

LOVE the fabrics! Those are terrific.

I would agree that hand quilting and machine quilting are 2 different things…some of the machine quilting is beautiful, but for me it is still not the same…you would be amazed at all the machine quilting vendors….and there were so few for hand quilters……I wanted to find a really good wooden quilt hoop….I didn’t see one…I will look again

2. Ginny says:

I have a bag of 18? spools of hand quilting thread, all different colors. Would you like to have it?
    Email me an addy to send to…….Ginny

3. antarabesque says:

Love the fabrics you picked up, lushious. That is odd that the two different methods are combined in one category. Your quilt is my choice. Have a great time!

4. Karen says:

I found at Paducah also that there was little in the way of supplies for hand quilting – everything is aimed at the machine quilter now – get it done fast and on to the next project!
    YLI thread on the wooden spools are hard to find at the quilt shops, I rarely see it – normally I order it unless I come across a quilt shop that has it and then buy up some for hand piece or quilting.
    Your quilt was great and glad it was shown.
    Karen

5. Carla says:

I would like to tell the world that hand quilting is or should not be in the same category as machine quilting. I think there is some marvelous machine quilters but please don’t compare a hand quilted with a machine quilted quilt. One is not harder or easier they are just different! I am sure that great machine quilting especially on a domestic machine would be very time consuming so they should be judged in their own categories. Sorry your pineapple quilt didn’t win, but your quilt is definitely a winner. I agree about YLI I have to order it online, it sure would be nice to have a online store that catered just to hand quilters. Enjoy the show wish I were there.

6. Barbara Wells says:

I totally agree with the comments on hand and machine being lumped together. Kind of like putting applique and piecing together in one category. I have quite a few friends that still hand quilt but most of us do not enter shows any longer. Maybe we should to show that there are still hand quilters out there. The small farm town shows and fairs around here still show quite a few hand quilted quilts but the bigger shows are almost all machine done. Around here tho there seems to be a renewed interest in the hand work. So there may be hope. Enjoy!

I, too, don’t think the hand quilting should be in the same area as machine quilting, it is different, as a machine quilter, it gets down to a fight over freehand machine quilting and computerized machine quilting, so there are different opinions even at those levels! It’s the same arguments as hand piecing vs. machine piecing and everybody has their own beliefs, but I think they should remain separate in judging and go from there.
    Sorry you did not win, it is an amazing quilt anyway and it did get you out to the quilt show to purchase those wonderful finds and hopefully some great classes! I’m heading for Iowa’s in October to the 3rd one and those wonderful vendor malls (gotta go early before the crowds maul you!) Try this: http://www.ylicorp.com and it even will give you a downloadable color chart and you can order directly from them.

I agree about the machine quilting being separated between computerized and free hand…they are totally different! it seems unfair to compare one witht he other.
      Thanks for the YIL link…and have fun at the Iowa show!!

8. Louise says:

I order my YLI thread directly from them. The link from Sara above is correct. They have an online button on the top right. I love that they put up their thread on wooden spools!
    Glad you are having a good time!
    Louise

9. audrey says:

Such an honor to be in the show. Wish they had a hand sewn and/or hand quilted category for the vanishing few that hang on to old traditions!

it is a great honor to be in the show! I attended a lecture by Zena Thorpe, who does the most amazing hand applique and hand quilting I have ever seen!!! It inspires me to work at it, and get better

10. Mandy Currie says:

What a lovely haul Tim, I love those reproduction fabrics, just gorgeous. I wonder if we can buy that thread here in the UK, that would be good.The City photos are lovely, the place doesn’t seem at all crowded. I hope you enjoy the rest of the show and thank you for sharing. Kind Regards Mandy Currie

11. Mandy Currie says:

Hi Tim it’s me again, this is really a P.S. on my earlier message. Please do share about the talk your going to hear, it just sounds so interesting, if you’re allowed to that is. I love reading the History of Quilting and embroidery. Kind Regards Mandy Currie

12. I was just thinking about prepping my “Dear Jane” quilting for hand quilting this winter. I hand pieced it, so I figured it should be hand quilted, but, it turns out, no one around seems to stock hand quilting thread any more (or know much about it!) I haven’t hand quilting in a long, long time, so I couldn’t remember what to use. I’m glad you posted that you liked YLI. I have one spool or that (enough to start) and can order some from the link. You have a great community around your blog (and your quilt SHOULD have won something. It’s wonderful!)

Thanks again!…and I am so glad the folks here were able to point out the site for you (and me) to get the YIL thread….I can never find anything locally except coats and that is what I normally use, but they only have the 100% cotton is a few colors…so I am glad to know where I can get the kind I want

13. Cathi says:

Lumping hand and machine quilting together just seems so odd — there really is no fir comparison between the two. What a fabulous deal on the batting! Made me ask how far it is from Toronto to Grand Rapids! LOL

LOL! I am not sure the drive would justify the price!
      They also had a great deal on silk batting..can’t remember the price for sure but a good deal…but silk doesn’t have the loft that I like so I just got wool

14. Cathi says:

… No fair comparison is what I meant to say!

15. Ginny says:

hand quilting is by far the more time honored way to do a quilt, and should not be compared to machine quilting.

16. Vicki says:

Love your posts about the show, and love seeing your treasures! Can you tell us more about the thimble you found? Is it open? who is the maker? I’m in the market for a new one, and am curious. Thanks so much.

Hi Vicki
      I cant remember which vendor I got the thimble from, I will look again to see …The receipt that I got doesn’t have any information on it….it is open at the end and I have never tried one like that, but it is large enough to fit me! which is pretty exciting

17. belinda says:

WHAT? No AWARD??? No RIBBON???? Well, why THE HECK NOT??? I LOVE that quilt!!!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )