AQS lecture

I attended a lecture at AQS  “A look at History through the Eye of a Needle” by Zena Thorpe.  I am not including pictures of  her quilts (she had several there) because AQS policy is that pictures not be posted on blogs.  The quilts are pictured on her website (see link below)

Here is her lecture description:

An expression of women’s lives through their quilts.

I have become interested in the way women over many centuries have told their stories and documented their lives with their needlework.

Their quilts tell us much about the lives of women of past eras and are often records of major historical events and shifts.

My lecture explores this theme covering the history and development of quilting and also my own development in the art, illustrated by many of my prizewinning quilts.

No slides  –  just quilts, quilts, quilts!

She makes the most amazing, hand quilted and appliqued quilts I have ever seen!!  Check out her web site here www.zenasquilts.com .  The pictures don’t begin to do justice to her amazing work, but what an inspiration!  Be sure to check out her web site!!  amazing!!!

I don’t know that I will ever make a quilt like one of hers…each quilter has his/her own style, but I am inspired by her work and will use that inspiration to improve my own quilting.

She mentioned that she uses wool batting on almost all of her quilts!  I knew I was on the right track with my wool batting purchase!!

She also said that she usually takes about 9 nine months to do the applique and 9 months to do the quilting….perhaps I need to re-think my goal of finishing 12 quilts per year?

One other thing I noticed at the lecture, I was the only rooster in the hen house.

35 thoughts on “AQS lecture

1. Jeanette says:

We were there today and asked everyone we could where to find you. We wanted so much to meet you and put a face on the man. No luck on our part. We saw your quilt on display. It was a wonderful show and way too many vendors. A good time was had by all. Sorry Tim, perhaps another time we can meet…….

Amazing quilts! That’s funny, I’m sure that gave you something to crow about! 🙂

3. Karen says:

her time range goes with about how long it normally takes me to make quilts – you are a really fast quilter, I don’t know of any that quilts as fast as you do.

I think If I want to make a show quilt that has a really good chance of winning a prize I am going to have to learn to slow down and be more accurate, but I am not sure I have it in me. I love to just eyeball the majority of the quilting and keep it spontaneous and fun. accurately marking and being perfect is not fun for me…and quilting needs to be fun

4. Sandra Henderson says:

Her site shows a glimpse into her style. Very European, old world… She is amazing. I’m happy for you to be able to go to this! I think your quilt should have won something. THat is a great deal on the wool batting. Where do you live? I mean, what state? Just trying to figure how far away you are. You seem like such a talented and interesting person!~Would love to meet you one day. I always look at your blog, but have been BAD about not commenting. So sorry. I’m behind on everyones’ blog that I normally look at. I get your daily feed and LOVE it. Your rooster comment made me chuckle. lol I had not thought about it, but it must be strange at times with all of us women. I bet you laugh a lot. lol

I live in Lansing MI so the Grand Rapids show is only a little over an hour away from home.
      the wool was a great deal!! I have seen it at local quilt stores for twice that price!
      Perhaps one day I will see you at a quilt show!

• Sandra Henderson says:

I’m just curious… Do you also work? Or is quilting what you do as a living? I think if you have another job, you are getting an incredible amount done! Your landscaping is so pretty. I’ve wondered if that is what you do… I am fairly new to your blog.

I teach floral design for Michigan State University, and for the Michigan Floral Association, and am the chair of the Certified Florist committee and am in charge of administration of the testing for certification, and writing and updating the exams. and I do landscape work for selected clients, and for the MSU landscape arboretum…having said all that I think I would like to be a quilter full time when I grow up

5. Sue says:

Hey Tim, I was there today at the awesome quilt show too! Thanks so much for sharing this. This woman’s work is amazing! Her hand quilting is stellar!

6. Dolores says:

Ha! And were you surprised to be the only rooster?
    In my guild we have a male president, a male membership convenor and two other male members – one of whom has been with us for over 20 years.
    I’m glad you found inspiration with her quilts. I shall be taking a look at her web site. Thanks, her work looks wonderful.

7. Cathi says:

Her quilt is beautiful — that lecture and quilt show must have been fabulous. Everyone works at their own pace that’s the most comfortable for them.

8. Kathleen Campbell says:

Funny, Funny, you Rooster!

The quilt is sOOOOOOOO beautiful. Thank you for shpwing this,

Kathleen

9. Regan Martin says:

Thanks for the link to Zena’s site. Her quilts are amazing…..each one a masterpiece! Her lecture must have been fabulous, and what a treat to see her work up close! Thanks for sharing!

I had never seen her work before and it was a real treat! she is teaching applique workshops here but I did not sign up for those…they are full now so it is too late…but If I get a chance in the future I will sure take a class with her

10. antarabesque says:

HaHa Rooster Tim. Beautiful quilt, what a opportunity! I can’t imagine the work that had gone into that fabulous piece of art. It’s tempting, but I have way too many other things to do… As always, thanks for sharing, I love your blog.

11. antarabesque says:

PS did Teddy go with you, or is he having a stay vacation with someone?

12. cmosey says:

Tim, so glad you got to go to the show! As far as being the only Rooster, well, just be you and be the best you that you can be! LOL Wish I had been there to look at the hand quilting with you! Hope you had a chance to meet Annemart while you were there. I’m going tomorrow, and we’re having dinner after the show. Will compare notes with you when I return!

I have not had a chance to meet anyone from blogland….not sure who I am looking for, but have had a few people say they looked for me….but there are soooo many people here it is hard to even see who is who
      I am here through the end of the show so I might see you

Comments