New Quilt Hoop

I had to try out the new Hoop/stand that I picked up at the AQS show.   So far I love it. I also am so glad to be quilting again…5 days without quilting is a long time!

I decided that I should finish up my Thousand Pyramids quilt before I start on yet another new one.  (and I have so many that I want to start!)

If you remember that top it was a wreck when I got it.

it was anything but flat!  no way to quilt it.

But someone tried unsuccessfully to make it flat, by cutting and re-sewing.

scary!

I took it all apart, trimmed all the pieces, re-pieced it by hand, and added a border.

Here it is basted and partially quilted.

and here is the back

and today in the hoop.  it is about 1/2 done so I should be finishing it up soon….the quilting is very simple.

29 thoughts on “New Quilt Hoop

Oh, I just adore this quilt, the wave of the color arrangement, the push-pull of the quilting. Sigh. Quilt chills.

And you’re documenting, documenting, documenting, yes? This one is definitely worthy of being published.

2. Kristi says:

I don’t pipe up very often, but wanted you to know how much I appreciate and enjoy your posts. (Hi Teddy!) This one is great, shows so clearly how another old top was saved. Love what you did with the red border, and the backing photos are always helpful. Do you pin baste on the floor? Enjoy your hoop!

3. Enjoyed seeing your new hoop. It looks very solid and if it’s a comfortable height, would be perfect to work with.
    I admire how much work you put into rescuing these old tops! And this one looks amazing!

Thanks Kathy
      it is a good height…I was worried about that because the height on this one is not adjustable, but fortunately it seems right. and it is good and sturdy solid oak

4. Kathleen Campbell says:

Wonderful stitching and a great choice for borders.
    You are terrific and Give Teddy an extra biscut for all his patience.

Piece of cake! Than tomorrow you can start another one!
    And I bet Teddy is glad to be home!

6. Sue says:

Love that quilt and it looks good in the hoop! Was Teddy glad to be back in his own bed?

7. Sandra Henderson says:

Gosh, i love that hoop!~ See, I get tired of holding a hoop, so that seems perfect!~ A friend gave me one that is homemade and I like it. It sits on your lap. Has like a board under it. But, to have the floor support it would be wonderful. I don’t think you can have too many, do you?!?!!
    Love this quilt! Look at those fabrics! You did a great job. LOVE the quilting!!!
    You could do your OWN book and self publish and show your work, just as you are doing here. I think so many would love that. You know, I have a ton of books and I don’t use too many of the patterns. I love seeing the pictures and ideas. Just a thought.

• Sandra Henderson says:

The more I think about this, the better I like the idea. I would SOOOO buy a book showing the stages of you transforming old tops like this. Why would you need patterns?!?!

the idea of patterns is to broaden the appeal. The vast majority of quilters work from new fabrics and set patterns.. and want the newest and latest..and that is what would draw them in and then they can become interested in the rest once they read it all….the pattern is a draw to the information inside

it is very nice to have the weight of the quilt off of my arms…I think it will make a difference. I have many hoops…different sizes for different quilts…Thee thing that is taking some time is getting used to the size…the hoop is large .
      I thought about a self published book and have heard so many stories of people being less than successful…so for now I think it is best to explore the publisher route…and then see
      But my favorite quilt books are just lots of pictures and Ideas….

• Sandra Henderson says:

Oh. Okay. I understand now. You would know better than me. It does make sense though. I am sort of a unique species in the fact that I don’t use a lot of patterns. I buy the books, I get the ideas, I love them and some I DO use,,, but it’s not really needed. I think that is years of making draperies and doing upholstery, slipcovers with NO patterns.
        Thank you for explaining and listening.

I never do a pattern either…but I can visualize how to make it work without..as I know you can if you can make a slipcover! that is an involved process of “figure it out”…most people however cant do that….my challenge will be to make a pattern that anyone can understand…not just left handed right brain me

8. audrey says:

I agree. The very best books are plenty of pictures and lots of ideas. Apparently they don’t bring in the money for the publishers like the pattern books though which is really too bad. Most of us have enough patterns to paper our entire house–we want inspiration!!

9. Jeanette says:

Welcome home ! I always have to be sewing in the evening. That is a good way to rest !

10. Ann Champion says:

I love the way you redid this quilt top..it needed to be saved, and the quilting is really bringing it to life.
    I always quilt in a hoop the size of the one you just bought. A smaller hoop had me spending too much time moving/adjusting the quilt in progress.

I have a big hoop in stand like you just got and I found the cross-bar got in my way. I hope it works out better for you!

Thanks Ann!
      The fabrics in the top just called out to be saved!

I love the size of the hoop, and I love that it keeps the weight of the quilt off of my lap (good for hot days!) I have found that the cross bar does require a bit of working around….but I think I will get used to it….and it sure does look pretty! LOL

• Victoria says:

Tim, I search the thread and saw a link to where you purchased the hoop – Yoder – but they don’t show this on their site. Just curious to know what brand and size this stand is. Googling trying to find something like this hoop but no such luck, yet. Thanks!

it is not available on their site……but they do have a customer service number http://www.yoderdepartmentstore.com/customer-service.aspx
        you can call there and see if they can get you one……I looks as if they have someone make them by hand….it is not a factory made thing so there is no brand on it

11. belinda says: