Yesterday I Posted about a vintage quilt top that I plan to quilt, and about the quilters of Gee’s Bend and that improvisational quilting style. I was thinking about another top that I have that fits into this category.
I have been thinking about what to do with it for quite a while. As you can see it is not square and not close to flat.
It does look to me that the quilter made it up as she went along…improvised. My challenge for this one will be to see if I can “quilt it out”. I love the overall look of the top (pretend that it is pressed) so I don’t want to modify it much. I had considered cutting it into large pieces, pressing and squaring the pieces, and sewing them back together with sashing of a contrasting color. Once I got it hung up today and looked at it again I changed my mind. I think I will just work it out with quilting. A very thick batting will help take up some of the extra fullness. I might even use the dreaded poly batting. The top is mostly poly fabric so it really is probably likely that the original maker would have used a poly batting anyway. I would never use poly on a very old top because it just would not be age appropriate, but for this one I think it will fit.
I told myself that I will not start another before I finish another so I have been working away…here is the progress
Back to work for me