Free Form Quilting

I have been working on hand quilting my vintage/antique log cabin variation quilt for the past few days.   I was not the only one who liked that setting of blocks and bands

Take a look at what Regan did with the idea here, beautiful job!

I couldn’t wait to get some quilting done on the red bands in my quilt.  I was going to do all the log cabin blocks first and then go back to the red but I couldn’t wait! I had planned to do something very simple, but here is what happened to that idea

I am just going to free-form quilt…no perfect plan, no marking , just sort of doodle quilting.

I hope that the pictures  show the quilting, It is sometimes difficult to see the quilting when the fabric has a pattern…here are a few more

This is not at all the simple uniform pattern I thought I would use, but I think it will be a great contrast to the goofy vintage blocks.

I have lots more to do but it is going to be fun!

20 thoughts on “Free Form Quilting

1. Regan Martin says:

Oh…….AWESOME!!! I love that leaf and vine you are doing! It’s so perfect for that space! Totally love it! Yippee!

2. hélène says:

This is beautiful!! The perfect counterpoint to the straight lines of the log-cabins, yet they have the “free” form in common. (I mean, you had to cut the log-cabins, so the last round isn’t the same as the others.) And the whole is reminding me a bit of “Art Nouveau”-style, very geometric yet combined with curves and flower-forms.
    As I already said once : I am learning a lot on your blog! 🙂

3. antarabesque says:

You have made the perfect choice, it is turning out fabulously!!

4. Nelda says:

I love how you let the piece tell you what to do!

5. I love the design you chose for the bands. I think it gives it a bit of life, especially with the “free-form-ness” of the log cabins. I finally could tell from the detail shots that the red was, indeed, a print and not a textured fabric. Another masterpiece for you!

thanks….it is so hard to get a good picture of that fabric…i dont know what it is about it that makes it not like to have its picture taken….but it is a thin fabric that is very easy to quilt!

6. audrey says:

Love your quilting in the borders! Perfect choice!

7. Kathleen Campbell says:

You have a winner! The quilting is great. And Regans’ is also very good.

Kathleen

8. Dixie says:

Really love the organic look of your quilting. Its just fabulous and the perfect contrast to the log cabin blocks. Really wonderful!

9. Sharon says:

Thanks for the link to Regan’s blog. It was fun to see her take on this wonderful old quilt.

I really, really like the free-form quilting you’re doing on this quilt. It suits the quilt beautifully. And it looks like you’re having fun too!

Isn’t is great how she did her quilt!…love the fabrics she used!
      I was afraid the quilting would be too much but I am happy that it is working!! I would hate to have to take it out….

10. Luv! Its like free motion on the machine…only better! Fun doesnt begin to describe it!

Comments