I must be crazy

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking.  When I unpacked this top and looked at it I had a moment where I thought I must be crazy.  Why would I want a quit top that is such a mess?  Do I need to save every orphan?

Teddy says no JUST ME.

Here is what the eBay seller had to say about it in the listing

VINTAGE (PRE 1980) LARGE HANDSTITCHED QUILT TOP
UNFINISHED
102″ X 81″
PATCHWORK SCRAP FABRIC
FRIENDS MOM WHO PASSED AWAY HAD STARTED THE PROJECT YEARS AGO, AND HAS BEEN PACKED AWAY
THERE IS A STAIN ON AN IVORY PIECE THAT MAY OR MAY NOT COME OUT, APPEARS TO BE MAYBE TEA OR COFFEE SPILL, BUT NOT SURE
UNIQUE AND MADE WITH LOVE

It looks like it was for sure made with scrap fabric….some of the fabric is pretty cool

It is anything but square

or flat

where things didn’t fit just take a few tucks.

the really unusual thing is the stitching

looks like about 2.5 stitches per inch and that ‘thread’ looks like string!

So I have to decide what to do with it.   I think I can take it apart into rows, press it and sew it back together to make it flat.  I like the crazy look

Maybe I am not crazy…time will tell.

here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

13 thoughts on “I must be crazy

1. Jean says:

Well, Tim. You posed the questions….not sure what your answer to yourself was – and I doubt you want us to vote! These quilts are lucky to be found by someone who ‘appreciates’ them for what they are and works at finding potentioal…or something. 🙂

2. Willy Wonky says:

If you hand quilt it without taking it apart, just letting it be warpy and odd, you’ll end up with something that’s truly like a Gee’s Bend quilt. Look at the Gee’s Bend quilt books and you’ll see, or just Google images. Let it be what it is. It’ll be less work for you, too!

I have seen those pictures…and I guess I should try it…it really is hard to go that far away from what I know to be the ‘correct’ way to quilt….It would take a lot of courage to jump in and do it…will see if I can

3. Barbara Wells says:

Is there a “correct” way? Or are those just more voices in our head? I am thinking of the words in a song-I’m not crazy, I’m just a little unwell…..You saw something in this quilt-and I am quite sure down the road the right thing will come to you and you will know exactly how finish it and it will be wonderful! Done it before and this is no exception!

4. June Nixey says:

I don’t think “normal” or “right” or “wrong” apply with quilting someone else’s top. I have to hold onto that thought because I recently saw several quilts that had been made from old tops, left by the mother, that had been quilted on a long arm machine with an overall design and no consideration whatever to the pattern of the patchwork – the family were just happy that the quilts were finished. I just love what I’ve seen of yours Tim and look forward to seeing what you decide to do with this one.

One of the things that makes me want to ‘save’ old tops is that I want to finish them in a way that the original maker would have envisioned (even if their skills didn’t allow it)…so this will be another hand quilted project….But there are so many in line that I don’t know when it will happen…I will post pictures when progress begins

Just call it a crazy quilt and go for it!

6. JoJo says:

Tim, the top looks interesting, but I must admit to shaking my head as you started showing the close ups. I do not have your ability to rework quilts. You are an exceptional artist who has an extraordinary ability to see quilts as how they will look once you are done. I love watching you save quilt tops and making them into beautiful works of art. I would love to sneak in and borrow for just a little while the Ribbon Candy quilt you finished.

that ribbon candy quilt was such a surprise for me…it turned out so much better than I thought it could….and so mow I am going for even crazier choices to see what happens

7. Colleen says:

YES your crazy! 🙂 Did you notice the look in Teddys eyes? Dad Your crazy. But there are some really neat colors in there. Happy Sewing

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )