New Diagnosis

I have a new diagnosis, I have OCQD…Obsessive Compulsive Quilt Disorder.  Symptoms include working on many quilts at once, collecting fabric, thread, needles, patterns, books, quilting for more than 4 hours per day, and in my case eBay shopping.

The newest quilt top is a vintage Ruby McKim pattern  “State Flowers”  first published in 1930.

I am not a big fan of the sashing on this one and I might change it.  Here re a few from the quilt Index to show the difference

Mine just seems to need some more color.  The good news is that all 48 states are there and well done.

Here they are, not the best pictures but you can still get the Idea (part of the disorder is that I didn’t want to take the time to re-take the pictures)….see if you can find your state (click to enlarge)

18 thoughts on “New Diagnosis

1. Gerrie says:

LOL on the OCQD! I think there are several of us here with the disorder, but add to our list, “obsessively checking on Tim Latimer’s quilt progress.”

There are certainly beauties in this bunch! I see what you mean about the sashing. I think when you put your mind to it you will come up with the perfect sashing to enhance those nicely embroidered blocks. Can’t wait!

2. audrey says:

Oh well. I would say that you’re blessed to be able to do the things you enjoy doing! Enjoy while you can!

3. Regan Martin says:

I think we’re all afflicted with this terribly contagious disease! lol Can’t wait to see what you come up with for the sashing. The blocks are great……another nice find!

4. Carolyn says:

I just saw a Ruby McKim State Flower quilt at the Gloucester County Historical Society in Woodbury, NJ. It was beautiful…how lucky you are to have found one to play with and make your own!

5. antarabesque says:

So you are not crazy, just obsessive, good to hear! 😀 I am unsure why, but embroidered patch/square quilts don’t appeal much to me, and I am an OC cross stitcher in addition to my quilt addiction. Regardless you will make this one shine. I’ll be OCTLQP.

my obsessiveness began with specific types of quilt patterns and eras….but it is growing to cover many!…this one will get pieced sashing of some kind to brighten it up…its the history of the designs that attracts me I think

6. Colleen says:

Now your talking with embroidery to boot. LOVE IT!! Goog Job on that score!!

I was so surprised at what a low price it went for….I didn’t get good pictures but the embroidery is beautifully done…when I start work on it I will get some good pictures

7. Carla says:

It must be contagious! I agree about the sashing

8. Nancy says:

Oh but wait… what if you kept the current sashing and quilted with colored perle cotton thread to add the color you want? The blocks are beautifully done.

9. Lynne Latimer Williams says:

Tim,, I also have the state flower blocks. A friend bought them years ago, and passed them on to me this year. Haven’t decided what I will do with them,, anxious to see what you do.

I love the blocks …the design is great….I hope to get to work on mine soon…but I have so many projects waiting for me that I cant say for sure how long it might take

Comments