Utility quilting continues

I am continuing to quilt the ‘Utility’ quilt.  I am calling this a utility quilt because I believe that it was intended to be used primarily for warmth, not for beauty.  Paradoxically I think it is a beautiful quilt, but its main function was not beauty but utility.

I got the top from eBay

And I started quilting on the 16th

I am quilting it in a very loose manner.  Much of the quilting is informed by the piecing.  There were many areas where the top was puckered or bulges and the quilting is nailing down those areas and making it flatter.

This loose style of quilting is very fun…and fast.  I am not making any attempt to be prefect…perfection is not what this quilt is about.  The quilting is, I think, enhancing the top.

Here is the back of the quilt.

Teddy had to examine my work.

I have an appointment to meet with my AQS certified quilt appraiser on the 29th, and I plan to have this one finished to add to the other 7 finished quilts that I will have her appraise.  I am thinking that it might be time to sell a few….anyone want to buy a quilt?

Here are some more pictures of the progress and the parts that still need to be quilted. (click to enlarge)

15 thoughts on “Utility quilting continues

1. Willy Wonky says:

Really, really great, Tim! I am so impressed. Your hand quilting is bringing it to life, and I love how you’ve included some variations in the design. Great texture, whimsical, A+ !!!

I absolutely agree, the quilting style is enhancing the top — match made in quilt heaven.

3. audrey says:

Your quilting is definitely adding to the quilt top. That is a quilt top that I’d find hard to get rid of. One of those use and enjoy types!

4. You are so fast! I think you handquilt faster than I machine quilt! I’d love to hear what the appraiser has to say about your quilts. You will share that with us on the blog, will you?

I will share the appraisals….it usually takes a week or 2 after the appointment for her to prepare the written appraisal…and with 8 to do it might be longer…but I will share the info when I get it

5. Ann says:

Yes I’d love to buy a quilt but I’m afraid I can’t afford it when your appraiser tells you what they are worth! 😀

This one is turning out great; the border really pulled it together and now the quilting is truly enhancing it. Another fine rescue!

6. gonerustic says:

I like the way you are spontaneously quilting this – just as the patchwork was done without too much planning. The quilt is utility, but is almost accidentally beautiful! =D

7. Cathi says:

What an inspired choice for the quilting. It really does add to the quilt. I

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )