Utility Scrappy Quilt complete

I finished the Utility/scrappy quilt today.

It started out as an eBay purchase

I did a bit of work on it but mostly left it as it was…it has some very interesting stitching…huge stitches with thread that is better described as string

I was very tempted to take it apart and ‘fix’ it but I made myself let it be what it was.  I did add a border to make it straight on the edges and a bit wider.  see how the edges were wavy. It finished at about 80″ x 100″

Here it is pin basted

I used a poly batting because I felt that was appropriate to the age of the top…Perhaps 1970

I did not try to do ‘perfect’ quilting, I let the top direct the quilting, following the piecing and quilting with the intention of taking up the areas where there was extra fullness and flattening it out. I used cotton hand quilting thread and a #9 needle.  It took about 400 yards of thread.

You can see the quilting best on the back…it just came out of the drier and has a few damp spots…I couldn’t wait to take pictures

As I worked on it I found myself wondering about who made it .  I know the seller is From CA. and said it was made by a friends mom , but that is all I know.   As I look at the fabrics I see that there are several fabrics the are the same but in different colors

I would not expect that someone had several garments in the same fabric but different colors.  Did the maker know someone who worked in a fabric store or a garment factory?  I don’t think that the maker did because of the less than accurate piecing, but someone could have given her a bag of scraps.

The striped fabrics look like dress fabrics to me.  There are also a few bits of red corduroy , some striped canvas, some muslin, a few bits of polyester, one of which I quilted my name into.

I should have also added the date…I might go back and do that

This is the fastest I have ever finished a quilt ( fast but I did work on it for as much as 16 hours a day) and I am so pleased with the result.  It is a big departure from the quilting that I normally do and I think this type of quilt often gets overlooked or looked on as ‘less than’ a quality quilt.  I think it is beautiful.  It is not beautiful in the same way as perfectly pieced precisely quilted show quilt, or a perfectly tended weed free garden.  It is beautiful in the way a wildflower growing in a patch of untended ground is beautiful.

35 thoughts on “Utility Scrappy Quilt complete

1. hélène says:

Congratulations!!
    You transormed this quilt from a duckling into a swan! Beautiful, love it!!

Do go back and put the date on it. That is a must for the Timothy Latimer anthology. It’s beautiful Tim, I love it. Many quilt blessings upon it.

3. quiltmaker1 says:

I admit I was skeptical about this one, Tim, but the photos show a very nice, usable quilt. Good choice of HOW to quilt it and very speedy.! I like that you stitched your name into it – perhaps a label on the back could tell the more complete history – date top purchased, maker unknown, quilted by along with the date and your city/state. Keeping good records for those who may come across the quilt in the future.

4. audrey says:

I love this free-spirited quilt! Your random curved stitching throughout is wonderful. This quilt makes me want to free-quilt something now and it’s obvious it won’t work on just any quilt top. Congrats on your very fast finish!

thanks Audrey…..
      I think this top was the perfect candidate for this free-quilting. While I was doing it I was trying to imagine how I would make a new one like it….I am not sure I could do it

5. Willy Wonky says:

Well done! And see how much fun it was? I’m so happy you let the quilt tell you what to do, and that you enjoyed it so much. Clearly, it was a revelation, and I’m glad!

6. Karen says:

I can’t believe how fast you did this one. How can you quilt 16 hours a day! I can barely sit for an hour at a time 🙂 I envy you I would love to finish one quickly!

7. Gerrie says:

“It is beautiful in the way a wildflower growing in a patch of untended ground is beautiful.” Perfect!

I want to know who cooks for you while you quilt. Or are you just withering away to nothing? (I need that person in my house!)

8. Ann says:

It looks happy to be on the bed, as a quilt should be. This whole project made me smile. I’m so glad you rescued it. It’s a real breath of fresh air!

9. Congratulations Tim on finishing this quilt. It looks absolutely stunning on the bed.

10. craftingismybliss says:

Nice quilt. You were lucky to find a decent quilt top. Everytime I look for one they are always stained and nasty. Yours turned out really great.

11. Ginny says:

Ann said it totally. That quilt is very happy to be on a bed. Thats a “Momma’s Love” quilt……

12. Carla says:

I can’t believe you finished it all ready! It looks just wonderful, and I love the way you explained your thought process on how to quilt it. I think your ideas really worked and it turned our wonderful. Love see it on the bed, finally it is at home.

13. patchworkrose says:

you know I did not like it at all before you started but now it is amazing. Such personality and charm! You have given it back a life!!

14. Cathi says:

I’m amazed at how quickly you’ve finished this! It looks wonderful!

15. antarabesque says:

It’s one for ‘the Book’. It really is wonderful, lovely in its simplicity and charm. Looks great on the bed, inviting, calling for a nap. Thanks for the journey!

16. Helen says:

You took the wallflower at the dance for a spin around the dance floor giving an unremarkable quilt some dignity and grace. Wouldn’t you love to be in a room with all of the original quilt makers who have made the original quilts you have rescued and made into beautiful works or art? You are doing the quilt world a wonderful service. Keep up the inspiring work!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )