I got yet another new quilt top a few days ago. It was hard to pass up at $9.95. It looks to be early 1900’s and very scrappy.
I learned a new term recently….’poverty piecing’. This refers to sewing 2 pieces of fabric together to make a larger piece to be used in a block. This top has several examples of ‘poverty piecing’
The top also suffers from some mouse damage. It is not uncommon for an antique top to be stored somewhere that mice can get to …they chew holes in the fabrics….fortunately on this top it is only on the edge.
I can find some vintage fabric to patch those 2 spots. Overall it is in great shape and will make a nice quilt.
Since I finished the scrappy utility quilt I decided that I could start another one. A while back I posted this top
So I started to work on it yesterday. Using the same fabric for the backing as the last quilt (this is the third quilt back I got out of that fabric which came from eBay for about $20) and a thick poly batting again to help fill out the puckers.
The thick batting is not the easiest to hand quilt through…the packaging says it is best for tied quilts or comforters…but it is doing the job of helping to quilt out the puckers. It will never be square, the edges will remain wavy …but I can live with that. I think it will be a fun quilt.