Rocky Road to Kansas

I have another new stack of blocks.  There are enough to make a full quilt.  The pattern is called ‘Rocky Road to Kansas’

here are a few examples from the quilt index

I love the old 20’s – 30’s prints in my blocks.

The blocks are not all the same size so I will need to re-work some to make them all match. I will need to decide on a color for the setting pieces. I place a few of them on the back of the strip quilt I am working on now to see the blocks with some color between them

I like the color, but I think I will use something more bold.  I am thinking about Yellow or Orange…or Green….or black…..or?

I am at the 1/2 way point on hand quilting the strip quilt

As I do the hand quilting a lot of the waviness comes out (not all but most). Here is the back

After I finish this simple quilt I plan to move on to something a bit more challenging…..I am thinking a lot about doing a whole cloth quilt.

16 thoughts on “Rocky Road to Kansas

1. Regan Martin says:

Great Rocky Road blocks…..can’t wait to see what color you pick for them!

• Constance Moran says:

How do you calculate the diamond joining piece? I have a stack of old pieced “stars” but can’t find a pattern the same size to make the diamond piece between them? It appears they are 11.5 inches, but they are not all the same size.

I dont do math…..I press under the edges of 2 stars 1/4 inch then put the two together on top of a piece of paper and trace the diamond shape formed where the points meet ….then add a 1/4 inch around that and cut a template

2. Taryn says:

I am kind of partial to that pink background. I really admire you taking on those blocks. I bet they need some tweaking before they will go together flat.

3. sara says:

I am definitely going to contact the post office because they continue to send my blocks to the wrong address!

4. njquilter24 says:

A whole cloth quilt will be amazing, can’t wait to see and watch your progress on that project.
    I have always wanted to make a rocky road to Kansas quilt , good for saving these blocks and making a quilt from them.
    thanks for sharing, Kathie

I have always admired the pattern and had planed to make a new one…but when I found the blocks the decision was made…I love to work with old fabric!
      The whole cloth take some serious planning and marking…both of which are not my strong points!!…but I will post about it when I start

5. Cathi says:

Those blocks are fabulous! I can’t wait to see what colour you choose to use to connect them.
    You’re inspiring me to get out the whole-cloth quilt and get quilting it — I
    have one of the pre-printed ones. I can’t even begin to imagine marking a whole one on my own!

6. belinda says:

Oh yes, love these!! Right up my alley….scrappy!!!

Your quilting progress is looking great too!! I’m still plugging along on my clam shell. I just passed the half way mark on it today!!!

7. antarabesque says:

My choice would be yellow. I think it would make those strips of yellow printed fabrics pop. Looking forward to your decision!

it is funny…I have held the blocks up to several different colors and each one brings out a different color in the prints, I don’t have any yellow to try it out on. I think I will take a block with me to the fabric store

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )