I finished the stripy quilt. It went very fast because it was simple straight quilting, (see the original post here) and I did not try to make perfect little stitches. It would have been difficult to get perfect little stitches with the very thick poly batting I used. I used it because the top was so wavy and bumpy that I needed the lots of a very thick batting to help fill out the bumps.
It is not square and it is not perfectly flat…it is a quilt with an attitude!
After I got the binding on I laid it down on the floor and it was very distorted.
I washed it and took it out of the dryer while it was still damp and laid it flat to finish drying…much flatter now.
Here is the back
It is about 70″ x 80″ but it depends on where you measure it. I spent a lot of time thinking about how I could ‘fix’ it so that it would be perfect but in the end I decided to let it be what it is and just quilt it as it was. I am glad that I did!…I think sometimes we try to make things perfect that don’t need to be perfect.
I took another top out of the pile and hung it up to have a look.
I love the blocks..it is a great pattern, but it does have some flatness issues. I put it aside after I got it because I was not happy with the puffiness in the yellow setting squares. This one might warrant taking apart and fixing. If I get those setting squares to be flat I will have some great spaces for some fancy quilting. My last few quilts have been very simple and I want to get back to some more involved /detailed quilting.
The fabrics look like 50’s to me and it is all hand pieced. Hand pieced tops are a lot easier to take apart!
I have not made a new quilt top in quite a while so perhaps I will do that next….I have stacks and stacks of new fabrics waiting …I will post about what I decide soon