Fast Finish

I finished the stripy quilt.  It went very fast because it was simple straight quilting, (see the original post here) and I did not try to make perfect little stitches.  It would have been difficult to get perfect little stitches with the very thick poly batting I used.  I used it because the top was so wavy and bumpy that I needed the lots of a very thick batting to help fill out the bumps.

It is not square and it is not perfectly flat…it is a quilt with an attitude!

After I got the binding on I  laid it down on the floor and it was very distorted.

I washed it and took it out of the dryer while it was still damp and laid it flat to finish drying…much flatter now.

Here is the back

It is about 70″ x 80″  but it depends on where you measure it.  I spent a lot of time thinking about how I could ‘fix’ it so that it would be perfect but in the end I decided to let it be what it is and just quilt it as it was.  I am glad that I did!…I think  sometimes we try to make things perfect that don’t need to be perfect.

I took another top out of the pile and hung it up to have a look.

I love the blocks..it  is a great pattern, but it does have some flatness issues.  I put it aside after I got it because I was not happy with the puffiness in the yellow setting squares.  This one might warrant taking apart and fixing.  If I get those setting squares to be flat I will have some great spaces for some fancy quilting.  My last few quilts have been very simple and I want to get back to some more involved /detailed quilting.

The fabrics look like 50’s to me and it is all hand pieced.  Hand pieced tops are a lot easier to take apart!

I have not made a new quilt top in quite a while so perhaps I will do that next….I have stacks and stacks of new fabrics waiting …I will post about what I decide soon

19 thoughts on “Fast Finish

1. Byrd says:

Whoa! It looks fantastic from the back – a real contrast. That makes me think of a design issue to consider when planning a quilt pattern – super-busy front and a structured, contained back. It’s a true success. I love the yellow top but I think you should take a rest! Take care, Byrd

2. Debra says:

I love love love the stripy quilt! And i love how the thick batting helps fill in the bumps and makes it look puffy. I think you made a great decision in just letting it be. In fact, I think in not trying to make it perfect has – well – made it perfect! 🙂 As always – thanks for sharing your quilting! You are so inspiring!

3. Dixie says:

Love your “quilt with an attitude,” and that you decided to let it be what it wants to be! The view from the back is amazing! The hand pieced quilt is wonderful too, and will look forward to how you quilt it.

4. Regan Martin says:

Holy cow, Tim! You are amazing! That was so fast, and the quilt looks so fabulous! Every choice you made was just right for it! I was just thinking……dang, I bet you’d be fun on a retreat! 24/7 quilting……FUN! :o)

5. You are so inspiring! Just wondering, how are you enjoying your floor frame?

6. Carla says:

I love it a quilt with an attitude!

7. audrey says:

Congrats on finishing your quilt with an attitude! It takes a special bit of confidence to even allow that you know! The quilting looks amazing from the back too.

8. Sue says:

Very nice quilt and lovely quilting as always! I love quilts with attitudes. THey remind me a lot like me 😀

9. Gerrie says:

Love the squishy-poufy of the finished quilt. It does look like a good winter quilt. In the second quilt, will you only need to remove and redo the yellow pieces, or will you also have to remake the fan pieces?

the fan pieces are fine…I would have to take out the solid yellow square pieces and re-set them…I think they will just need to be trimmed down a bit and it will flatten right out

Comments