A Quilt for Fall

I spent the last few days working on a new quilt.  I don’t often make a new quilt because I have so many vintage quilt tops to finish, but this fabric was just too good to pass up.  The warm fall colors and the feel of the fabrics are so great.  The pictures don’t do the fabrics justice…in real life they are just amazing.

I did find that sewing flannel is different…it stretches.  Next time I do a flannel quilt I think I will starch the fabric to give it more body before I cut and piece it.

This finished at 70″ x 90″ and I have a nice piece of tweedy flannel for the backing and wool batting to use.  I cant wait to get it hand quilted! It is going to be a very nap inducing quilt.

Click pictures to enlarge

10 thoughts on “A Quilt for Fall

1. sara says:

There’s nothing like a good flannel quilt! Good luck staying awake while working on that one!

2. beautiful, nothing like a flannel quilt especially in MIchigan !
    wow I am impressed with how many you did quilt this year, you have them all appraised?
    Kathie

Thanks Kathie
      I had them all appraised…. except the denim quilt which is for the dog…I am a believer in having appraisals on all quilts for insurance…you never know what might happen…I wont get the appraisals back of a week or 2

3. Sue says:

That is a beautiful quilt! Did you get these fabrics at the quilt show in Grand Rapids? Just gorgeous!
    I’m anxious to hear how your appraisals went. That’s a good idea to get them all appraised.

I did buy the fabrics at the grand rapids show…and they have been sitting and waiting for me …but I couldn’t wait any longer….the time was right, I guess I needed to be in a fall mood to get the inspiration to start

4. audrey says:

Beautiful! I love the rich, warm fall colors and the fact that you made your quilt top in flannels is outstanding!

5. Cathi says:

Gorgeous. It really does say fall!

Thanks Cathi
      It is a different experience working with flannel….I think It would have been more accurate hand pieced, but I was to excited to start quilting it to spend the time piecing it

Comments