King Solomon’s Temple blocks

I got a stack of great blocks today.  The pattern is “King Solomon’s Temple” and they are from about 1880 – 1910.  There is a great variety of fabrics used in the blocks

I am making more progress on the Tree-of-life quilt.  Lots more to go!

click pictures to enlarge

24 thoughts on “King Solomon’s Temple blocks

1. Karen says:

this new quilt of yours looks like something Bonnie Hunter would make! have fun quilting it

2. Regan Martin says:

The clouds on your tree of life quilt are wonderful! That is some really fine stitching! Beautiful! And the King Soloman’s blocks are fabulous! What a variety of fabrics! So fun! And yeah…..you’d love Bonnie Hunter…….google ‘Quiltville.com’……that’s her website, with tons of quilty inspiration, free patterns (amazing!), and just tons of great info. There is a link to her blog…….she posts daily, several times, and she is totally awesome! I’m proud to be a ‘Bonnie stalker’…..lol!

Thanks…Im having fun with the little stitching…its different than what I usually do so its fun…
      King solomon blocks will need to be soaked and pressed square but they are in great shape

• Regan Martin says:

Oh….forgot to mention, she is totally in love with antique quilts, and posts about them when she finds them in antique shops. She’s a quilt teacher, on the road A LOT, so she finds tons of quilty stuff!

3. Sue says:

Oh those blocks look wonderful. I really enjoy those fabrics in them very much. And your Tree of Life is coming along great!

Tim, those fabrics are fantastic! This is one for the textbooks — the fabric guides. You should send the photos to Eileen Trestain somehow. These are just spectacular.

5. Louise says:

This is the first time I have heard of King Solomon’s Temple pattern. The blocks are great! I am amazed at how much quilting you do. Do your hands ever get tired?

Previously I had only seen the pattern in books…this is the first time I have found any blocks.

When I first started quilting my hands got tired a lot….but over time I think i have built up the quilting muscles and I dont get sore hands unless it is very heavy fabric like denim

6. sara says:

Awesome blocks!

7. Jose says:

I am really enjoying seeing your progress on the Tree of Life quilt. Very, very, very cool. I do machine quilting, but am inspired by your project to try a whole cloth myself soon. You do awesome work, Tim.

Thanks!…this is my first go at a whole cloth and I am so glad I decided to give it a try…it really is fun…but very different than quilting a pieced quilt

8. njquilter24 says:

great blocks, great find, I know you will do them justice ! can’t wait to see you make them into a quilt!
    love seeing the tree come to life!
    thanks for sharing
    keep quilting….
    Kathie

9. LoriD says:

I love your most recent blocks! The fabric is fantastic and what a variety! Scrap quilts are my favorite.

10. Janet Cooper says:

Wow! I can’t believe how quickly you are progressing with the Tree of Life. Just out of interest – what size quilting hoop do you use? I have an 18″ one and although it is quite a handful, at least I don’t have to move it so often, as there is plenty of quilt in each ‘hoop-ful’.

11. […] Today I started cleaning a set of antique quilt blocks.   The pattern is Solomon’s Temple. You can see the post about them here […]

Comments