AQS Quilt Appraisals

I recently had my latest quilts appraised.

Why have quilts appraised by an AQS-certified appraiser?

AQS appraisers have been successfully tested on knowledge and accuracy of:

• Textile dates
  • construction techniques
  • pattern recognition skills
  • appraised value.

In addition, appraisers are required to re-certify every three years.  Professional  development classes and ongoing educational opportunities are offered to Certified Appraisers through the AQS program.  Each appraiser has agreed to a Code of Ethical Practice and to abide by Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practices (USPAP).

All AQS-certified appraisers are qualified to evaluate antique and newly made traditional and non-traditional quilts.  A qualified appraiser will advise a client if a quilt warrants being appraised.

Insurance companies will not accept self-appraisals of quilts.  If you are the owner, you cannot determine the insurance value; the insurance company considers you an interested party.  Therefore, the value must be determined by a knowledgeable, disinterested party.

Since each quilt is unique, a separate value must be determined for each one. If the insured quilt is lost or damaged, the owner should receive enough money to purchase or remake a similar item of like and kind.  The insurance industry refers to the amount of compensation as “actual cash value”, since the textile is one of a kind and can not be duplicated.

So having said all that the reason to have you quilts appraised is that they do have real value!  New or Antique…simple or complex…hand quilted or machine…they all have value.

So here is the Insurance value of the quilts I had appraised

$1,050.00

$2,000.00

$1,450.00

$1,850.00

$1,500.00

$1,400.00

$1,000.00

$700.00

$700.00

Keep in mind that these are insurance values, not market value (what they would sell for)…The current market is pretty soft!  so quilts sell for considerably less than I think they are worth.

to find an AQS certified appraiser near you click here

So does anyone want to buy a quilt?

33 thoughts on “AQS Quilt Appraisals

Oh, I wish, I wish…..it is one of Andrew’s an my goals to have the money and be worthy of owning a Timothy Latimer original. Especially the Log Cabin. Now we just need to finish renovating the apartment, I need to get solvent again now that I’ve gone back to work, start saving money, and/or win the lottery. That’s all. Must remember to buy lottery ticket.

Are you selling at the insurance value or what you think they are worth! 🙂 That makes buying on ebay such a good thing to see what value you have managed to get them to after how they came to you in the first place. Bravo!

3. antarabesque says:

I would have thought the lyre quilted one would have been more. I’m a bit surprised by the houses! The triangles remain my favourite. Since I don’t gamble, I’ll just have to save my money.

it is always a surprise to me (that is why you cant appraise your own quilts)…that lyre quilt has a lot of quilting in it….but the fading of the fabrics in the antique top doesn’t help its value

4. Sue says:

This was such a great bit of information. Do hand quilted quilts bring a greater value or does that not have any bearing whatsoever when it comes to determining a quilt’s value?

Because I am hand quilter I know about the value of that….I am not at all sure what the going rate is for machine quilting. When value is determined it is based on what you would have to pay someone to do an equivalent job…..so the value is based on what it would cost to buy new materials and make the quilt again…so if you had to pay someone say $200 for example to do the machine quilting…that 200 is added to the cost of materials and the cost of piecing to determine a final value….I hope that makes sense.

Hand quilting is generally figured at a cost per yard of quilting thread…somewhere in the $1 – $1.50 per yard range. If you pay someone to do hand quilting that is how it is charged….so the more hand quilting in a quilt the higher the price…..

5. Karen says:

lovely quilts Tim, the prices do vary don’t they

6. audre says:

Very interesting. I like when you post the appraised values of your completed quilts. Do you pay a flat fee per each quilt being appraised or is that subjective to the appraiser as well?

there is a fee per quilt…I pay my appraiser $45/quilt for a written appraisal…each appraiser may not charge the same, but it would be in that ballpark

7. Regan Martin says:

This is all such great info…..it never occurred to me to have my quilts appraised for insurance. Great idea! Thanks!

I think we often overlook the value of our own work!….I believe that we should have all our quilts appraised if only to show ourselves that our work has value.

8. Joana says:

Hi, Tim–thanks for telling us about the process and for your transparency in telling us what the quilts appraised for–it isn’t something I’ve had done, so it’s totally unfamiliar territory for me. I patted myself on the back though–I just finished up the second 220 yd spool of quilting thread in my daughter’s whole cloth quilt–probably 3 more to go. 🙂 Thanks again (and the lyre quilt is my favorite–or maybe the 1000 pyramids….)

I am glad that it was helpful to hear about the process…and I would definately get the whole cloth quilt appraised!!

9. Dixie says:

What a group of lovelies! All so valuable and worth so much more than their appraised value.

Thanks Dixie!
      the real worth of a quilt is difficult to determine….it is hard to put a price on the value of the care that goes into making them

10. Willy Wonky says:

Well, buying season is pretty much over with all the travel, but I’m tempted to hire you to hand quilt something at some point when I’ve got money again…

11. realgffood says:

How do you store your quilts?

12. belinda says:

This is a very interesting post. I had often wondered how the appraisals worked.

You have some real treasures there! It would be hard for me to pick a favorite ’cause I jus’ luv ’em ALL!!!!!

13. Rose Marie says:

I’ve thought about having my quilts appraised and should carry through and just have them done.

Comments