Humidity and Hand Quilting

It has been raining all day today!  I have been working on hand quilting my tree of life whole cloth.  One thing I have noticed it that the extra humidity today has made the quilting much more difficult!  The extra humidity from the rain makes the fabric feel denser (or almost wet) and it is much more difficult to pull/push the needle through the fabric.

It is amazing how much different the work is from one day to the next!

here are the photos from today. click to enlarge

Happy quilting

16 thoughts on “Humidity and Hand Quilting

1. Okay, now I have a reason for my stitching being slow and not so good! lol We live on the coast of s.e. GA/FL on the barrier island area. Just IMAGINE!~

I can imagine that has to make a difference!…I never noticed it until today…but humidity does make quilting harder

2. Byrd says:

I imagine it is the damp wool giving you a problem, yes? Let me offer a cautionary tale of quilting in damp weather . . . I was working on a bridal quilt many years ago. I marked the pattern – interlacing swans – in blue wash out pen. I packed the project to take on a week long vacation in August to a sweet little cabin on the Maine seacoast. In the mornings, I would sit in front of a huge window overlooking the gulf of Maine, sipping coffee, happily stitching away. One day we decided to go exploring further up the coast. I left my quilt on the couch. By the time we got back that night, all of the blue markings had disappeared because of the dampness in the cabin! It pays to have a sense of humor!, Take care, Byrd

I imagine that it was quite a shock to loose all your markings! and marking is the part I like the least so I would hate to have to do it twice. It feels like it is the fabric not the wool that wants to cause the resistance

3. I live in hot and humid Arkansas and in the summer I can’t hand quilt even with the air running.

I never realized what the humidity can do…I just made the connection today…but there have been plenty of times in the past that I just thought I was having a bad day or was working on a tough fabric…I am glad that for the most part it is not a problem here in Michigan

4. have you tried poking your needle in THREAD HEAVEN? run your thread over it too…it might help.

5. audrey says:

This is going to be a fabulous quilt. I bet you already have ideas for another whole cloth quilt!

6. Rose Marie says:

I did not realize that humidity affects hand quilting! Who knew …. that is why we have you to tell us. Thank you.

I didn’t know either until I had a comparison from one day to the next on the same quilt…same thread…same needle…the only difference being the humidity….it was a surprise to me…but I am glad I know now

7. Cathi says:

I never would have thought that humidity would affect hand quilting but, when you think about it, it does make sense.

it has gotten a bit colder so the heat has come on a few times…..the furnace tends to reduce the humidity…and the quilting is going better

8. Nancy says:

This made me think back to a hand quilting project I did- I think I noticed that the blue marker lines made the quilting “drag” just a bit as well. Have you evern noticed this?

I have not noticed the marker causing a drag….but that could be the case here as well….perhaps a combination of the blue marker and the humidity

Comments