Lansing Quilt Block

I was looking through some of my antique quilt blocks today because I am thinking about making a new quilt based on one of them.  Here are a few (click to enlarge) .

The one that strikes me today is this one

I Imagine that the dull tan fabric was once a different color before 100+ years of fading.

I looked up the block in Barbara Brackman”s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns and found that it is #1496b   Named Lansing….now I like it even better!

I couldn’t find a picture of a finished quilt so I made up a sample photo

I like the look of that!…and I have a good pile of reproduction double pinks and poison greens and cheddars …This might be the perfect place to use them

19 thoughts on “Lansing Quilt Block

1. Catherine says:

I like that one too Tim. It’s different. I’m curious as to where you find all these antique quilts?? They are all lovely.

2. LoriD says:

What a fun and quirky block!!

Nice block! It will make a wonderful quilt, better get busy! Put that tree down a bit and let it grow on it’s own.

It was fated to be — the quilter and his town become one. Really, quite ironic. I love the look of it.

5. Kathleen Campbell says:

‘RED DOT’ has my vote for everything. Maybe the tan fabric was tan to start?

6. Siobhan says:

I use my block “collection” for inspiration too…love the Lansing block and the fabrics you are thinking of working with!

7. Sue says:

Gosh, all of those blocks are great, but I think it way cool that you chose one called Lansing! It’s gonna be a great quilt, Tim 🙂

8. Sue says:

Yes, I really like the applique block myself too, but I do love to do appliqué. Do you not like the needle turn aspect of it? My favorite way of doing applique is with the starch method, though I am trying to hone my needle turn as it’s ‘old-school’ and I’m an old soul at heart 🙂

I am just not able to get applique done as fast as I would like….I imagine that is a matter of practice, but it just frustrates me and it should be fun…so I would rather do piecing

9. Joan brink says:

I like it too, especially as a fellow Michigander. Met you at a bed turning in Bellaire last spring, I think. I enjoyed you posting.

10. […] Sunday I posted about an antique quilt block that I wanted to use as an inspiration for a new […]

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )