Drafting a block pattern

Yesterday I posted about this antique block that I will use as an inspiration for a quilt.  In order to make the quilt I need a pattern .  Here is how I made one.

The block measures 10.5″ so it would finish at 10″ (1/4″ seams all around)  so I started by drawing a 10″ square.  next I divided the square according to the block.

Then measure the circle in the center and get that drawn in.  Here is where I might benefit from using a compass but I have lots of vases and this one was just the right size.

same size circle for the corners

So that is the block drawn.  Now I need to add 1/4 inch seams on all the pieces and cut templates.  One way to do this is to cut this apart as it is and then iron the pieces to cardboard (this is freezer paper so it would iron on) and then cut the cardboard adding 1/4″ to the edges. Some old quilting books recommended using sandpaper for templates so they would not slide on the fabric as they are traced.  I like template plastic, I put the plastic over the drafted block and trace it adding 1/4 inch and then cut.  I only will need a few templates for this block.

8 of each of these templates will make up the block.  The antique has a solid circle in the center but I am dividing the block into 4 equal parts (4 square). I think it will make the piecing easier.  I plan to do hand piecing for this.

Here are the fabrics I plan to use

I don’t know If I will use all of the fabrics but I do plan to make the quit with a scrappy look.  I will use the yellow and cheddar for the circles and the green and double pinks for the rest.  These fabrics are the Pomegranate Collection by the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum.  I bought them at the AQS Grand Rapids show and I can not remember which vender they came from but they are beautiful fabrics.

I can hardly wait to start cutting it up…..but lots to finish up first!

20 thoughts on “Drafting a block pattern

1. Beautiful fabrics! Looking forward to seeing what magic you create with the block and fabrics!

2. Karen says:

have fun creating this one from scratch – look forward to seeing the end result.

3. ginny says:

OH TIM !!! Now you have told all the world how we makes templates, and they wont have to buy them anymore!
    Poor Vendors! Shame on you ! LOLOLOL!!!!

4. njquilter24 says:

don’t you just love making block patterns from antique quilts, I like using template plastic too.
    that is a great fabric line I love the green in that line ! will be making a quilt with it soon!
    good luck and I can’t wait to see a few blocks.
    Kathie

If the fabric is by the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum, wouldn’t they sell it on their site?

6. Janet Cooper says:

You don’t say how you make sure that the circle is right in the centre of the block.
    I would measure the diameter of the vase and halve it to get the radius. Mark that radius on the horizontal and vertical axes, measuring out from the centre of the block. Then make sure the vase is lined up with all four of those marks before drawing round it. Does that make sense?

7. I’m also a member of Team Plastic Template. This is going to be a great quilt.

8. Siobhan says:

Looks like a fun project! I’m always rooting around the cabinets looking for the “right” circle size. I stated keeping some of the circular lids…like the top of a can of mixed nuts…in a box in my sewing room. The lids are easier to handle than larger (breakable!) items.

9. […] On Monday I posted about how I drafted the pattern and showed the reproduction fabrics from the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum that I plan to use. […]

10. Very helpful and interesting to see such step-by-step creation of a pattern. I should practice this more! HA! But I love seeing it being done and reading the instructions.

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )