Piecing and Layout

On Sunday I posted about an antique quilt block that I wanted to use as an inspiration for a new quilt.

On Monday I posted about how I drafted the pattern and showed the reproduction fabrics from the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum that I plan to use.

The fabrics are available from the RMQM here.

I couldn’t wait to try one block, here is the antique and the reproduction

With all those great fabrics I wanted to mix them up within the block and go for a scrappy look.  The question now is how will they look set together.  I can see the layout in my head but I can’t post that so I cropped a picture of the block …

and then put several of the pictures together

There is some distortion in the picture so they don’t line up perfectly but you can get an idea of the layout I am going for.

This picture is only one block repeated over and over so the fabrics are not as random as the actual quilt will be, I have 3 more greens and 3 more double pinks to add to the mix and I think that will make it better.

Now the first block done my challenge will be to finish up a few other quilts before I plow ahead with this one!

16 thoughts on “Piecing and Layout

1. Sue says:

Oh it’s gonna be great! Very nice and colorful and a good scrappy look!
    I love the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum!

2. Ann Hancock says:

VERY cool patch, Tim! It’s going to be even more awesome when you use the other pinks and greens. Can’t wait to see more-

3. ginny says:

that is popping!! Love the scrappy colors!!
    I think one done in just 3 colors like the original would be great also.

4. Faith Swanson says:

I think this is an awesome block. It certainly looks wonderful with the fabrics you chose. It will be a stunner!!!

5. audrey says:

Great block and it looks so good with the fabrics you chose!

Tim, this looks absolutely wonderful, I’m so in love with this. It is so beautiful!

Thanks!!…..It is difficult to make myself work on my other 1/2 done quilts ….I just want to get more of these blocks done….but I must finish up a few to make way for these

7. Byrd says:

Go for it – it’s going to be great!

8. Really like your color choices. Very PA! Have never seen the pattern before. The stripped fabrics will add a whole new dimension to it where ever it lands!

Comments