Quilt Pattern Variations

I have recently joined a group on Facebook (Quilts-Vintage and Antique), and it has been an amazing learning experience.  The group is populated by quilt historians and antique quilt collectors and the collective knowledge is impressive.

In the last few days there has been some discussion about the double wedding ring pattern and its variations.  The discussions reminded me of a quilt that I finished a few years ago and posted about here.  I am re-running pictures of it today because it is related to the double wedding ring. Is it a Pickle dish, or an Indian Wedding Ring, or a one of a kind?

Here is what I purchased from eBay

only these few pieces were joined. I used those pieces to make templates for the muslin to finish setting the blocks.  the interesting part to me is the octagonal piece where the blocks come together.  In most patterns that is done with 4 squares as in a double wedding ring.

After making the pieces I sewed the blocks together…here it is in progress.

I did not have enough blocks to make a full-sized quilt and I did not want to make more of the blocks…so I added a border

And I hand quilted it

And  when all that was done I washed it. and here it is

I saved a few of the blocks and some day I will trace out a pattern from them.

here are a bunch of pictures of the various stages (click to enlarge)

36 thoughts on “Quilt Pattern Variations

OMG, that is an incredible quilt! One of your best!!!

2. Kathleen Campbell says:

WOW! That is amazing. I did not know you when you were working on this creation. Marvelous!

Kathleen

3. Catherine says:

Wow Tim! Great job! I love the scalloped edges. There’s something about a red and white quilt……

Thanks!…I do love red and white…and the old fabrics here blend well with the reproduction border fabric…I spent a lot of time looking for the “right” red for that

4. Sue says:

This is so beautiful!! I love anything double wedding ring and/or pickle dish. I love these colors in this and the way you put it together! Just gorgeous.
    As always, your hand quilting is quite amazing. You certainly are a delight in the community of quilters.

5. helen says:

This is a stunning, beautiful quilt! It is sparkling yet peaceful ( … oh, and pieceful indeed), and the red fabric is a dream! Phantastic work!

6. helen says:

..and I didn’t know this pattern.
    I guess you pieced it by hand??

the vintage blocks came to me from an eBay auction…all hand pieced, and I joined them together by hand as well….it is a pattern that I have never seen before …from the fabrics used I would say it was done in 1890

7. Judy says:

Tim I love it….. 🙂

8. Darcie says:

What an amazing and beautiful quilt!! Thank you for sharing it with us!

9. antarabesque says:

All the words I would say have already been said to describe how beautiful this quilt is. You’re amazing. Thanks for sharing.

10. Karen says:

that is beautiful, I haven’t the slightest idea what the name of it would be though, I have never seen this one.

11. Gerrie says:

Spectacular! I love the colors chosen for this quilt, how the original piecer placed them, and how you chose to set them. Very nice. It must have been difficult to repeat that quilting pattern on the border without benefit of following the block shapes. Scalloped border with light binding really highlights the curves of the piecing, too. This quilt illustrates several excellent choices of yours, Tim!

thanks Gerrie!
      I used the template that I made for the muslin pieces to mark the red border for the quilting pattern so I could get the shape, and then free hand quilted the inside parts

One of my favorites. I remember when it was just the psycho pickle dish — or antique fish skeleton, we had some name for it.

13. Tim, what a beauty! The border fabric is perfect and your quilting really finished it off nicely.

14. audrey says:

Fabulous! The border really finishes it off so very well. Love your hand quilting as always. It would have been a crime to have this one machine quilted, but I suppose that’s just bias.:)

15. Siobhan says:

This is when the “variation on” and a photo fits the bill…love how you finished the blocks!

16. Janet Cooper says:

Really amazed at how different it looks with the blocks on point rather than straight. They just look right set like that, whereas the picture of them in a straight setting just looks wrong to me. I can’t quite work out why, but glad you did what you did!

17. Rose marie says:

Unbelieveable …. utterly jaw dropping!

18. Tim, I like the fact that you are keeping a few blocks to make a pattern from at a later date. I wish I could find more orphan blocks of this pattern. Any quilt made from the so-called Pickle Dish pattern fascinates me but I haven’t been brave enough to try to create even one block yet. But I did recently acquire two blocks plus I have a section about 30 x 20, though it is closer to a New York Beauty I think.

0ne block I saved has the needle that the original make used still stuck in it. I need to organize those orphans and get them together with the paperwork /appraisals for each quilt

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )