Tree of Life Finished

I finished the tree of life quilt.  Here it is with all the quilting ready to have the markings washed out

When I had nearly All the quilting done I decided that some of the smallest tree branches were not standing out enough so I decided to stuff them.  I used a large needle (an upholstery needle for tufting) and wool roving yarn

It is a very big needle!  Here is is next to my quilting needle.

Here it is after washing

I will block it to flatten and square it up a bit and then add a hanging sleeve and that will finish it.

So how long did it take?  The best guess I have is about 350 hours +/- but I am never good at recording the actual hours that I work on a project.

Here a bunch of pictures, click to enlarge.

44 thoughts on “Tree of Life Finished

1. ginny says:

Tim, what a knockout! that is. I HOPE you are going to display it for all to see. Ginny

2. Karen says:

amazing to finish this already – you must get very little sleep and work on your quilting 18 hours a day!

I have been a fanatic with it for a full month, and while I would rather be working more, right now my teaching schedule is light and I have perhaps too much time on my hands and I get crazy quilting

3. Gert says:

You did a wonderful job, your quilting looks stunning!

4. Susie Wimer says:

This is truly lovely! What kind of batting did you use?

5. It is amazing. What a great job you have done. It has been fun to follow your progress. it is sooooo inspirational.

6. Marjorie says:

Absolutely fantastic! Definitely motivates me to get moving on one of my projects that has lots of white space.

7. The Frugal Quilter says:

Absolutely beautiful! Looks like our big ole LIVE OAKS down here. This is an award winner. Such a work of art. Congratulations!

8. sewfrench says:

Tim, this is just amazing.
    You do such beautiful work.
    I hope you are planning on entering this in a few contests!
    I can’t imagine how many hours a day you must put in. Way more than me!
    I also love how you switch up your blog backdrop so often!

Thanks…..I have been thinking about which contests I want to enter …I think I will submit this one for a few..
      I must confess it is not unusual lately for me to spend 10 or more hours quilting in a day, but that wont keep up forever!

9. antarabesque says:

Fabulous. You must be so pleased with the result. It is fantastically beautiful.

10. helen says:

Simply i n c r e d i b l e!
    What a masterpiece – Congratulations!

11. Cathi says:

How absolutely stunning! Congratulations — it truly is a one-of-a-kind priceless beauty!

12. audrey says:

This is going to be one of those quilts that literally stop people in their tracks. What an incredible, fabulous quilt. I think you have just moved to the next level Tim! Very moving quilt.

13. Gerrie says:

Congratulations, Tim, on another finish, and a remarkable one at that! This is absolutely incredible. I feel privileged to be here for the finish.

14. TLC says:

One word: WOOOOOWZA. OK, it’s not a word. My breath has escaped me for words!

15. Lorid says:

Congratulations Tim! It is an amazing quilt!!

16. cmosey says:

This is absolutely stunning, and if you DON’T enter it in a quilt show, I’m coming over there to kick you in the rump! Absolutely beautiful, my friend! I’m going to try that batting in my Feathered Stars quilt… your stitches look awesome!

17. Regan Martin says:

Absolutely stunning, Tim! Congratulations!

18. belinda says:

……clapping…..clapping!! Well done!!! “GIT DOWN” with your bad self!!!

I.LIKE.

19. Tina says:

This quilt is such an inspiration to me-I am a beginning hand quilter-I love hand piecing so it is a natural progression-in my mind-I get so frustrated at times because I am not “prefect.”
    I love this wall hanging-really love the work and how beautiful it is. Again, thanks for keeping my head in the game! I love the quote from the book-I will keep praciting!

Thanks Tina
      dont let being “not perfect” stop you!! The fun is in the doing…I would like to be able to make the perfect stitch….but I am happy to just continue to get better and have fun practicing

Hi, Sorry if I missed this in the thread — Andrew asks how big it is (he’s in absolute awe).

this one is made to be a wall hanging so that I can enter it in AQS in Grand Rapids….wall quilt is the only exclusively hand quilted category there (they also have one for machine quilted) so anyway it is about 60″ x 40″

21. It’s such an amazing quilt…hope to see it in person some day.
    I was wondering if you feel sad when you finish a masterpiece like this and have to “move on”? I finished a quilt last week and dragged out the last bit of quilting for no reason other than I didn’t want to be done with it!

Thanks Kathy

So far that has not happened to me….I usually have about a dozen waiting in line…and so many ideas of what I want to do next that I don’t feel bad about moving on…..I have sold a few of my quilts in the past and that did make me sad

I do plan to enter this one in a few shows…so if it gets accepted perhaps you will get a chance to see it

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )