Big Stitches and Perle Cotton

I have not made a lot of progress on the Christmas Tablecloth quilt,  (sometimes your real job gets in the way), but I have some pictures and some Big Stitch thoughts.

When I went to the store to buy thread for this one I made the mistake of getting #5 white perle cotton.  I prefer #8, which I what I am using for the red.  What is the difference? the fatter the thread the harder it is to quilt with.  One of the reasons that I don’t have more of this finished is that the white thread is slowing me down  I can only pull through one stitch at a time with the white #5 thread…I can do about 4 stitches with the red #8  see the comparison in these pictures

So working on the white thread in the red border is very time-consuming and it is real work on the hands!

but it looks pretty!

Here are a few more pictures. (click to enlarge)

21 thoughts on “Big Stitches and Perle Cotton

1. Lisa says:

I agree about the #8 being easier. I have also used crochet thread…usually size 10. I did a red quilt but used the pink #10 crochet….it looked white and maybe wasn’t quite as stark as white would have been. You are right, the white #5 does look nice.

I did one with black #10 crochet thread and I found it to be not as strong as the perle cotton….I kept breaking it…dont know if it was me or the thread that was bad

You are a glutton for punishment, but the payoffs are great!

3. ooglebloops says:

Such perfect stitching, no matter what size thread!! Love your “quilt inspector”!!!

4. antarabesque says:

The heavy thread looks amazing. I may have to stop following your blog, some believe envy is a deadly sin… 😉

I do like the look of the heavy thread….I just need to prepared for it to take longer… 😦 I am always in a hurry to finish so I can start the next thing (or finish all the 6 or 7 others I have started)

5. Anne Kasten says:

I can appreciate the frustration that the heavier thread causes, but the
    contrast of white on red and then red on white is simply marvelous.
    Keep on stitching!
    anne k

6. Hilda says:

Looking wonderful ! no rush – it’s not Christmas just yet 🙂

7. craftingismybliss says:

Beautiful stitching. Love the design.

8. Linda Cronise says:

Are you using heavy thread because of the type of fabric the tablecloth is made of? I just love the thoughts of using a tablecolth to make a quilt.
    Very clever.
    Linda

I am using the heavy thread because I like the way it looks . the larger stitches and contrasting color shows up and adds a pattern to the quilt that thinner thread would not. So the thread choice is purely decorative

9. adaisygarden says:

What a beautiful quilt! So glad I came across your blog…I learned something about thread as I read it! I, too, am currently hand-stitching a quilt and am not yet at the “quilting” stage… after seeing the work you’ve done and how great it looks, I think I have new ideas for mine. Thanks for sharing!

10. […] snowflake quilt.  Here is the starting point.  Now that I finished that I can get back to the Christmas Tablecloth Quilt.   I think I will some day make a full-sized quilt with […]

Comments